Gasp! Nintendo Developing App for iOS, Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Nintendo could make millions selling Pokemon Yellow (with updated graphics) for $15, seeing that people buy FFIII for iOS for the same price.

erichoyt

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
with a Nintendo game comes the Nintendo price tag...which is not small relative to other apps that are just as, if not more fun to play

Also, when the original Pokemon came out on the game boy's back in the day...battery life was reasonable - 15 hrs per set of batteries...i know a lot depends on model of phone, but how energy efficient the Nintendo tech will be on a non-Nintendo system..

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
With all these crap "games" for tablets and phones out there trying to pass as serious gaming, I'm not surprised so many people think gaming is for kids and/or losers...

quinton mcleod

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
It would not be the first time Nintendo has done this. They've created two Zelda titles and a Mario game for the CD-i... They also created a Donkey Kong game for the early Atari systems. Nintendo has even had Mario on a few PC games as well.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]erichoyt[/nom]with a Nintendo game comes the Nintendo price tag...which is not small relative to other apps that are just as, if not more fun to playAlso, when the original Pokemon came out on the game boy's back in the day...battery life was reasonable - 15 hrs per set of batteries...i know a lot depends on model of phone, but how energy efficient the Nintendo tech will be on a non-Nintendo system..[/citation]

They're just writing the software, why would it be any less energy efficient than any other app or game?

"But Nintendo is in complete denial even though it began offering a similar bite-sized format for the Wii (WiiWare) and DSi (DSiWare)."

The way this is written makes it sound like Nintendo got the idea from them, which is odd since WiiWare was launched before Android was even out and shortly after IOS, and Virtual Console was out long before that even, so it's pretty unlikely they're trying to take advantage of the current trend of App store gaming with WiiWare when they released WiiWare before App store gaming was around.

But it's cool, you haven't picked up your DS because you can play on your phone now. Personally I prefer a game that has a bit more substance than just catapulting birds.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
It’s interesting to hear that Nintendo will develop apps for iOS and Android.
By the way, I didn’t know that Pokémon was a Nintendo franchise.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Good for them. SEGA has a few titles on the iOS as well (and probably Android too). "Sonic the Hedgehog" comes to mind. And as we all know, SEGA made consoles as well.

Here's to an official NES/SNES emulator from them !

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]quinton mcleod[/nom]It would not be the first time Nintendo has done this. They've created two Zelda titles and a Mario game for the CD-i... They also created a Donkey Kong game for the early Atari systems. Nintendo has even had Mario on a few PC games as well.[/citation]

nintendo didn't create those cd-i games, it was the after-math of getting out of the deal for making an snes-cd attachment (that in turn created the cd-i and the playstation) they were made by some company hired by cd-i to make it for them (hence why they are so god-awful)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]nintendo didn't create those cd-i games, it was the after-math of getting out of the deal for making an snes-cd attachment (that in turn created the cd-i and the playstation) they were made by some company hired by cd-i to make it for them (hence why they are so god-awful)[/citation]

no... you are thinking of 2 different events that happened some time appart.

G

Typically we wouldn't write anything Pokémon-related for obvious reasons.

Obvious? Must not be obvious enough, because I see nothing wrong with it. Are you insinuating something is wrong with it?

G

WOW, misinformed much? This news amounts to nothing more than Nintendo taking advantage of a semi-related market for marketing purposes. Seriously dude get a clue, Nintendo has done similar things online, in the even more abstract Flash market, and probably would do the same with Facebook Apps. Giving away a taste to entice people to buy Nintendo's real products hardly qualifies as having "caved in", the suggestion is totally ludicrousness.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
"Because this will be the first time a Nintendo 1st-party title won't be on Nintendo hardware that we know of, especially a Pokémon title."

Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr on Coleco in 1984. Get your facts right.

G

don't have the patients to read this thread, but if Nintendo wanted to make a quick fortune, they should just develop or buy on of the existing emulators for nes and snes and even possible n64 for the IOS and sell it for $5. Then sell each title for $1. They would put millions in their pocket very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.