Gates Foundation Backs New Contraceptive Method

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wave84

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks this would lead to a huge increase in sexually transmitted diseases? This is one of those things that sound really good on paper, but not in real life. It would become incredibly risky to engage in non-safe sex with strangers, and if you do it with your girlfriend, she can use pills for that already. So there's not much benefit in my opinion.

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]It may not sound appealing, but consider that most other attempts at finding a male contraceptive involved drugs that mess around with hormones. Messing around with hormones can have untold effects - just look at the original femal contraceptive pills, until they got the ballance of estrogen and progesterone correct there were all sorts of problems, not least endometrial cancers. Even modern hormonal contraceptives are frought with problems.As for calling this eugenics - Are female contraceptives, condoms or abstinence programs also "eugenics"? Nope, not unless it is forced on people against their choice.[/citation]

Female fertility is governed by a very specific interaction between four hormones that much occur at a specific time for the woman to ovulate and have the lining of the uterus be receptive to implantation of a fertilized egg. Interrupting this hormonal cycle is the most logical way to try to obtain female contraception without using physical barrier methods. The problems with the initial oral contraceptives mostly had to do with the fact that the optimal dose hadn't yet been determined. Modern combination estrogen/progesterone OCPs have 20-35 micrograms of estrogen, while the initial ones had 100 mcg. That mostly just caused the women to get nauseated, and doses were shortly changed to 50 mcg and then to 35 mcg. There are still some problems with modern female hormonal contraception (such as the risk of blood clots if you're a woman over 35 and smoke while taking a standard combination estrogen/progestin product), but they are relatively minor.

Male contraception on the other hand is much more difficult. We do not have a complex hormonal cycle that makes us fertile at certain times and not others that we can interrupt. Any effective attempt to stop sperm production via hormonal methods are very anti-androgenic and lead to very notable side effects. You lose your sex drive, lose muscle mass, and have breast enlargement. So, a working method of non-barrier contraception in men would need to be non-hormonal in action. The only one I have heard of that is even moderately effective is testicular bathing, which involves putting the scrotum in ~110 F water for about half an hour per day to kill the developing sperm (sperm hate warm temps, which is why the testicles have to be outside of the body cavity.) I wish Gates' guys luck, but I'm not getting my hopes up too much as the physiology of male contraception makes it a real tough nut to crack.

duffymoon

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
@bonezy

The main problem with the spread of disease is surely unprotected sex, not giving birth.

The main reason condoms are not more widely used in Africa is religion - the Catholic church's policies and the US refusal to fund safe sex messages other than 'please abstain'.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]What do you think "Genetic Counseling" is? Stop connecting 'eugenics' with Hitler. It doesn't automatically mean killing people. There's no more natural selection for us, so we have to police our own genes. How in the world is that a bad thing? Apologies if that's not what you meant, but I get irritated how common such sentiments are.As for this... Well, I'm a male, and I'm totally for male contraceptives, but... This sounds kind of scary. Will be interesting to see how it works out.[/citation]

Hell yeah, cause if we don't we will end up in the movie Idiocraty.

SininStyle

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Why not a $100,000 grant toward the "Slam it in a door" method or the "microwave" technique ? Are you to good for these Bill!?

Cant believe the filter doesn't pick up on testicles lol

SininStyle

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Why not a $100,000 grant toward the "Slam it in a door" method or the "microwave" technique ? Are you to good for these Bill!?

G

Fact is gates is a eugenicist, although most likely he wasn't one originally. His foundation is/was one a big push in Africa to vaccinate against polio, however the polio shots had a weaponized version of polio in them and in many cases, have killed/maimed people in Africa. We in the US/UK don't hear about this on our news, but it is a big deal there. When someone asked Bill about this at a conference of some kind about 6-8 months ago, he laughed with a devilish smirk and said quote "yeah, i heard about that" while laughing. Don't believe me, go do the research yourself.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]imapc[/nom]Does anyone here really have to elaborate as to why this would potentially be a bad idea...?[/citation]

Ask the Catholic Church.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]truthsoutthere[/nom]Fact is gates is a eugenicist, although most likely he wasn't one originally. His foundation is/was one a big push in Africa to vaccinate against polio, however the polio shots had a weaponized version of polio in them and in many cases, have killed/maimed people in Africa. We in the US/UK don't hear about this on our news, but it is a big deal there. When someone asked Bill about this at a conference of some kind about 6-8 months ago, he laughed with a devilish smirk and said quote "yeah, i heard about that" while laughing. Don't believe me, go do the research yourself.[/citation]

Reality check...1...2...3...Reality check.

Tell me you are joking. That is a pretty heavy charge you are making. With every vaccine you take risks. The question is: does the perceived benefit outweigh the potential risks.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]Doesn't stop STDs (at all)[/citation]
Contraception doesn't mean safe sex... it's just to prevent pregnancy.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
If this had some decent trials. I would be down to try it. I have 3 kids and don't want or need any more, but I am really not into the whole snip snip idea. Condoms are retarded for happy married couples, and the pill is how we got number 1. Oops missed that for week. Sorry Honey :)

tbeardsley

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm pretty appalled at all the misinformation on here. You all need to stop watching your mainstream media and do some actual independent research. Yes Gates has funded Eugenicist programs. Reality check for all you. Planned parenthood was started by a Eugenicist as well. You think once women/men stop taking these birth controls when they are ready to conceive, there hasn't been any permanent damage. Why do you think generation after generation is stupider. Its all those lovely vaccines/pharmaceuticals everyone takes without bothering to see they do way more harm than good.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]blcskate[/nom]If this had some decent trials. I would be down to try it. I have 3 kids and don't want or need any more, but I am really not into the whole snip snip idea. Condoms are retarded for happy married couples, and the pill is how we got number 1. Oops missed that for week. Sorry Honey[/citation]

Missed it for a week?! Good God, how does that happen? Hasn't she ever heard of setting an alarm on her phone or just taking it while she's brushing her teeth? A day is understandable, but a week is ... well, a week is a baby.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
So you would rather go back to the doctor EVERY 6 months, to probably kill all of your sperm instead of getting a vasectomy? I'm way to lazy for that, plus it would probably end up expensive in the long run.

G

1 - I hate condoms...
2 - My girlfriend does not want the pill (side effects and so on)
Honestly, would zapping my testes be beneficial in any way (besides blowing some cells away and leaving me spermless)?
Well! I vote for failboat: Don't cum in her, cum on her!!!
And yeah, such a delight that is ;)

And for all of you voting for ultrasound zapping of the balls, you do know that Ultrasounds are used to break kidney stones right? Yeah, that will brake your balls...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS