Gateway M 6750 Laptop: Dim screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I've been trying to repair a Gateway M 6750 laptop. The screen is dim, but if you hold a flashlight behind it then you can still see what's being displayed.

These are the things I've tried so far:

External VGA output. It works without problem.

Fn + F4, F1. Neither make a difference.

No BIOS settings for screen brightness.

No mechanical lid close switch, and if it is magnetic then I haven't been able to locate it.

Screen replacement. No change.

Inverter replacement. No change. Also tried using the new inverter with the old screen, to no avail.

I bought tested working screen and inverter, so they shouldn't be doa.
I'm at a loss at this point, the only other thing I can think of that could be the problem is the video cable. Any ideas?

Solution
Hi :)

The screen number is the bottom right one...

N15412 -L02 REV.C1

15.4 screen obviously from the number....and you NEED to see that number (ALL OF IT) on the replacement screen...

SOMETIMES ...generic screens work...a LOT of times they dont....

All the best Brett :)
Changed screen. Changed inverter. If it's not the backlight (or the motherboard/graphics chip) I can't imagine what else it could be.
And using the external monitor shows it's not the motherboard/graphics chip.

It could be the connections to the motherboard or a wiring/cable harness, I suppose.

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Yea, the video cable on this laptop also powers the inverter, but I find it odd that I do still get a fine video picture on the screen. I just don't get the back lighting. Which makes me question if the video cable could even be bad. I don't know if I explained that well so here's a picture:
r1GiD.jpg

Lol...now answer my question.....are the MODEL NUMBERS THE SAME on BOTH the old and new screens....

We have had this problem a few times and as a company we decided to put in IDENTICAL number screens and never had the problem again....

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Looking at the back of the screens I would say no, none of the numbers match. There's about four stickers filled with barcodes and numbers per screen though, so I'm not sure which one refers to the model number itself.

I would really hate to have to spend another hundred dollars to get a screen with the same numbers just for it not to work again. ;/

If you can put a picture up with those stickers on I can tell you which numbers need to match....

Can you not return the new screen for the correct numbered one ??

It was BRAND NEW of course ??

Ok, maybe another way to go - get a inverter that matches the requirements of the new screen? (but that idea raised the hair on the back of my neck though)

It's kinda looking like the inverter might not match the back light tube requirement.

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I ordered it new, off of amazon.com. The part is just a generic screen replacement for a Gateway M 6750. The company I ordered it from was ViewOne Tech.

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Here are all the stickers from the original screen:

8h4ls.jpg

It was sold to me as new on amazon.

The screen number is the bottom right one...

N15412 -L02 REV.C1

15.4 screen obviously from the number....and you NEED to see that number (ALL OF IT) on the replacement screen...

SOMETIMES ...generic screens work...a LOT of times they dont....

Solution

Lawl Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll see about returning the screen and getting one that matches the model number.

Ken Young

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
DId you ever resolve this? I too have a M6750 and am having same problem. Have replaced with new screen and inverter but it doesn't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.