Gateway NV54 help

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Laptop won't connect to internet, haven't had it running on about 3 or 4 years, only watched dvd movies on it, help anyone.

How are you trying to connect? WiFi or Ethernet cord? If it has been that long, you could have a few different things causing the problem. Outdated software for the WiFi. Dead WiFi card, damaged cord (if connected via Ethernet), etc.

If you are trying to connect via WiFi, I would start with checking to see if you need to update anything for it. Drivers, software, etc. If that isn't it, try connecting via Ethernet. If that works, then your WiFi card may need replacing.

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hello, and thanks for responding, I have tried to connect the Ethernet cable direct into laptop and have tired to connect with WiFi connection, it won't let me. How does the WiFi card gets replaced or fixed at what priced?, thank you! For texting me back, I appreciate it.

Well you can actually try getting the internal one repaired or replaced. If it is under warranty still, contact the manufacturer. If it isn't, you can take it to whomever you wish to do the work.

You can also get an external WiFi card, which would plug into the USB.

That said, you could also try the following and see if it helps, before you get into any hardware replacing.

Try checking the channel setting on your router. Go into the routers "configuration" and then go to the "Wireless" option. In here look for an option which deals with "Channels".

If the router is set to "auto", you should usually see which channel your router is using.

Next you need to check the channel setting for your Laptop:

1. Go to "Control Planel" and then "Network and Sharing Center".
2. Click on "Change Adapter Settings".
3. Now right-click "WLAN device" and and then click "Properties".
4. Go to the "Networking" tab and click on "Configure".
5. Next click on the "Advanced" tab, go to "WZC IBSS Channel Number property" and look at the value/number it is using.
6. If this value/number is different than the one that your router is using, this can cause your laptop to not connect correctly.

You can look into switching to manual selection of channel on the router and then select an appropriate channel which is supported by both your router and your laptop.

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
Hi, I had the Ethernet cable direct into laptop and have tired to connect with WiFi connection, both areas and when I tried to go to the e internet icon, the open page no internet connection. When, I tried to go to the bottom right corner for the connection to WiFi button is not their. I do really need to find a way to fix the laptop running up somehow. How to update the laptop when it won't even connect to the Ethernet cable or doesn't show up on the WiFi connection. What's the cost to get the Wi-Fi card repaired or to get the laptop fixed?, Please, help me with the laptop. If, it's not any trouble. Thank You !, for responding back.

I can't answer the cost amount. It is different in different parts of the world and for different machines.

Have you tried restarting your router/modem to see if this resolves the issue? Also have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the WiFi on the computer?

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
I have tried to delete the history tabs and it's cookies. As I tried to turn on the e EarthLink button it guided me to back to the control panel and I accepted the all the cookies and history back to the laptop. Yet, it won't let me connect to Wi-Fi and not even the Ethernet cable.

I am still leaning towards the card just being damaged/not working any longer. If possible I would really see about trying an external WiFi card, one that can plug in via USB. Best if you know someone who has one you can borrow rather than to purchase yet, as this is just to test it and see if it will allow you to connect. If it will, then yours is needing replacing.

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
At this time, I don't have a person to lend me their laptop to see if the USB works. Instead, I have purchased a plasma tv and connected to the Ethernet cable and it's showing cable tv on it.
I would like to find out, if the laptop can be fixed.
As I search on-line of price quote, I actually see them. I wouldn't know how to replace them.

No, what I meant is if you have a friend who has a WiFi card that connects via USB. That is what my daughter used when her internal one fried. It was cheaper to get and use an external one. The part for the older laptop was more costly than getting the USB connected one.

I was suggesting you try that to see if it will work for you, before going forward and actually purchasing one (or before having the internal one replaced) to make sure that would actually work.

Lavonnia

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016