Geforce GT 540M / Optimus won't work

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

erwin6750

Commendable
Oct 20, 2016
Hello (sorry, maybe my english is not perfect :) ), i had problems with some games since upgrading to win 10, i want to post my solution, maybe it helps some people.

System is ASUS x73sv, i5-2410m ,Geforce GT 540m 1 Gb and Intel HD 3000, 8 Gb DDR-3 Ram

I always had the problem, that older and newer games with DX 10 and DX 11 choose the slower Intel HD 3000
(first on win 7 and then win 10 also, never tried on win 8). Flight Simulator X was the first game i recognized this, Direct X 10 ran on the slow Intel GPU, Direct X 9 ran on the Nvidia.
Since upgrading to win 10, a lot Direct X 11 games running on win 7 fine ( for example Civilization V, Pinball Arcade) startet on nvidia gpu, but crashed on start. So i had to play these games in the direct x 9 mode.
A lot of Direct X 11-only Games were not running,too,forcing them to start on nvidia.
I tried almost all avaiable drivers (old and new) and hints, mostly there was no solution or not for all games.
Running steam on nvidia gpu and then the game from steam helps in some cases, as already said, but not always.
I don t like game boosters,they are senseless, but running razer cortex and then the direct x 10/11 games from of this tool helped me.
In my example Pinball Arcade i also had to change a registry value (display adapter=2 ;;; 1 is Intel 2 is Nvidia) although in Nvidia Driver the Nvidia GPU is selected for all applications, otherwise the game only starts on Intel. Well, sometimes its obviously the game itself, causing the trouble and you have to find out, if there is an ini or registry setting ,because ingame there is no possibility to choose the right GPU
Additionally also don t forget to try the different compatibilty settings on the game exe or try to turn it off, i recognized, that windows is often wrong with its suggestions.
At last, i usually restart windows before running a game. I experienced, a game is running fine out of razor cortex or steam. i quit it, want to play another or EVEN THE SAME game a few minutes later, and they crashed,after restart no problems :( :( :( really strange. Also the GPU frequency sometimes freezes in energy saving mode,when the PC started some games in order, i recognized this using msi afterburners on screen information,same solution restart ( and again, i tried different combinations of old and new drivers and settings).

So i found a solution to run most of my games, but its annoying that we have these problems which should not exist, although my hardware is pretty old.

greetings