GeForce GTX1070 laptops... MSI or Asus?

Arravis

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
So I'm looking at the MSI GT62VR Dominator Pro-005 ($2000) and the Asus ROG GL502VS-DB71 ($1700).

I'm looking to transfer over from desktop to a laptop, so I'm looking for a laptop that will essentially be docked about half the time that it's used, so I suspect that battery life won't be a huge deal, and a monitor that isn't amazing won't be a huge deal either since I'll have my pre-existing monitor.

A bigger battery, better monitor, dvd player, along with more ram (external dvd-player and ram I can always add later to the Asus) seem to constitute the main advantages of the MSI. I am aware of the MSI Pro-073, but the 128 GB SSD is too small for me.

I've also heard that MSI's can run hot and therefor be a little more unreliable in comparison to Asus, but I can't confirm that fully. Anyway, I'm not a pro, so I wanted some pro opinions, any advice would be appreciated!

Solution
If you are looking for a desktop replacement isn't the asus g series better than the gl as they tend to be bigger and have better cooling. As for the msi, it it true that they do run hot. In the gt series, that is not the issue but noise can be. Asus laptops are generally cooler.

However I would recommend that you try and get a barebone laptop so that you can make upgrades later on.

one9712745

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Same dilemma here.
I don't whether Thunderbolt 3 will be worth it, but MSI supports while ASUS doesn't.
And depending on countries, it seem that MSI offers 1-2 yrs support and upgrade to 1080MXM later on? If this is true then this would be a deal breaker.

Brent_12

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
I have the GL502VS and it runs really nice. Build is great, keyboard is evidently better than the msi keyboard, and the track pad works very nice(msi trackpad is allegedly atrocious). I game for long periods and the laptop stays relatively cool and that's with settings cranked and dual monitors. I really wanted the msi because black and orange don't do much but I wanted the better computer for the money so i went with the Asus. MSIs run hotter too from what I've seen

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I have been really up in the air on choosing a 1060/1070 laptop. I love how the msi looks and its keyboard, I dislike the asus all red motif. Yet the asus is built better..cooler, and it didnt do the stupid motherboard layout where half your components are on the top of the motherboard. Ive been eyeing the sager's but they dont have reviews on youtube like everyone else does.

Diletantric

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

I am quite astonished that such a thin laptop like the GL502 can be cooler than a monster like the GT62. Is there a performance trade off due to throttling or something?

Diletantric

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016

This is one of the laptops that I am seriously looking at (http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/id-3204087/gaming-laptop-gtx-1070.html). Could you share your experience with regard to temperature and FPS. I'm looking to understand if this can handle the heat we have in India.

If you are looking for a desktop replacement isn't the asus g series better than the gl as they tend to be bigger and have better cooling. As for the msi, it it true that they do run hot. In the gt series, that is not the issue but noise can be. Asus laptops are generally cooler.

However I would recommend that you try and get a barebone laptop so that you can make upgrades later on.

Solution

Brent_12

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

If its any consolation, the backlitghts on the keyboard are really the only red part, otherwise it is a black/orange motif. I'd rather have the rgb on the msi but I didn't want the heat issues and the questionable mousepad (I use a seperate mouse anyways). The biggest part of my decision was the 1070 which I absolutely love! Not sure why msi couldn't squeeze one into their thin frame and keep it relatively cool like asus. Ask yourself this: Do I want a 1060 and color changing keyboard or get a 1070 in the same size frame for the same amount of money? Answer was easy for me.

Brent_12

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

I can't really say if you'll have heat issues over there. I am in Texas so it does get plenty hot over here too and the humidity is terrible. I do know that msi seem to run hotter so that may be an issue. I use my laptop in air conditioned environments so idk how it'll do outside. Sry that isn't much of an answer. Only thing I know is that Asus runs cooler with the current builds.