GeForce screen freezes; unable to update driver

numero1coffeelover

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
I have GeForce GTX960M/PCIe/SSE2 NVIDIA 353.54, Version 3.3.0 on my laptop, which runs Windows 10. It came as a package, when I purchased the laptop a year ago. The laptop is used for processing photos. Since purchasing the laptop I have never been able to update the driver, even though the computer tells me that updates are available. I have spoken with the company that set the computer up and they tell me not to worry as Windows 10 takes care of everything. Things have not gone smoothly with the Windows Anniversary Update, so I am sceptical of this answer. When I go to GeForce the screen says 'Unable to connect to NVIDIA, Try again later'; I'd love to try later, but the screen freezes and the only way out is to shut down the computer. Any Help would be appreciated, G

Solution

I did a download from the website as suggested and that worked to update the driver - what a difference in the performance of Lightroom. However, the new download did not modify the 'notice of update' leading to a frozen screen. Carrying on the download approach, I reloaded GeForce Experience and now can check for updates without causing a frozen screen. Thank so much for the help, G

After doing the above I set to work with Lightroom in the Develop mode. This did not go well as I kept getting a checkerboard picture. After further research on the Adobe site, I installed a somewhat older GeForce driver (July 2016) and this resolved the...

numero1coffeelover

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016

I did a download from the website as suggested and that worked to update the driver - what a difference in the performance of Lightroom. However, the new download did not modify the 'notice of update' leading to a frozen screen. Carrying on the download approach, I reloaded GeForce Experience and now can check for updates without causing a frozen screen. Thank so much for the help, G

After doing the above I set to work with Lightroom in the Develop mode. This did not go well as I kept getting a checkerboard picture. After further research on the Adobe site, I installed a somewhat older GeForce driver (July 2016) and this resolved the issue for now. Many Lightroom users reported this checkerboard problem and are awaiting a resolution by GeForce. G

Solution