General System Board Failure, Replacing Motherboard

tomoyukiryohei

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I recently got a HP Pavilion not even a month ago. At random times the Cap Locks light will blink in a pattern, and my keyboard freezes. I have to completely restart my laptop to fix the problem. On HP's website it says that the pattern is indicative of a general system board failure. I'm not sure what that means, but answers to similar questions said the motherboard needs to be replaced. Anyone know how much this costs, and how long it takes? Or is it even necessary, as in, is there another fix? Does replacing the motherboard erase all of my data off of the computer?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I talked to HP Customer support, and they advised me to factory reset the laptop, and at the time when I was trying to run it, my laptop unexpectedly shut off and they told me to send it to them. I tried to factory reset it again and the problem seems to have stopped for now. I ran a fast system test and it passed, I ran a system board component test and it passed as well. I'm going to run a system extensive test to see how that goes. If nothing comes up, should I still send it to HP, being as they said if they can't reproduce the problem I'm complaining about they'll send it back to me?