GE's LED Lightbulb Has a 25,000 Hour Rated Life

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
One issue with CFLs that most people seem to be leaving out is they contain mercury, and are a hazardous material because of it. It's not a particularly green product.

In general incandescent bulbs are the "greenest", since they use lots of power, and therefore require, hopefully, lots of coal or other carbon emitting substance to be used. This Carbon Dioxide is, naturally, loved by plants which grow faster and produce more food, and extend the growing season for them a bit. So, plants like carbon, not mercury, and incandescent bulbs give us the former, CFLs the latter.

I don't know why jackasses call losing little power "green". The plants want more carbon dioxide, not less. They need another term for it.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't know how they got 17 years. Based on my usage this thing would last about ten years. Still very good for a single bulb but not worth the $40-$50.

mattclary

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]This is a slippery slope to gay marriage! I want my lightbulbs as God made them![/citation]

OK, this is kind funny.

G

LED lights unlike standard CLF and the god awful incandescent can't be plugged directly into a wall socket, the actual real estate that a LED light bulb takes up is minuscule, granted to get 40w worth of light out of this thing your going need a few of them but the reality is the rest of that package is made up of circuits to drive the LED lights, and this is where most of the cost is probably going to as well

standard dimmers on an incandescent is not very economical or environmental, traditional dimmers work by throttling the current going to the light by use of a resistor of some type, your not using any less electricity on a dimmer

gumbedamit

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I have replaced all of my homes bulbs with CFL and when I moved from NY I took them all with me. Got a bigger house and had to buy more bulbs. Just in my master bedroom, that was 30+ bulbs alone, it bacame quite an investment. Now imagine if I had to do this with $40 bulbs, don't think so. BTW: I've had several of the CFL blow within 1 yr, who keeps the reciepts to have them replaced???? I do save a great deal of money over regular bulbs. They do need to drop the prices dramaticly and make a 100 watt equivalent.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I want to see these take off and get rid of the compact florescent ones because they contain mercury and I know most people just throw them in the trash when they go bad.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]lightmeup[/nom]traditional dimmers work by throttling the current going to the light by use of a resistor of some type, your not using any less electricity on a dimmer[/citation]
That is incorrect.

Watts = Volts x Amps

If you lower the Amps (the current) you lower the total wattage. Do a search on the sucject. It's basic stuff.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]pug_s[/nom]Pffft... I have a 40w florescent light in my hallway running for more than 24/7 for 6 years already, that's more than twice than the rated time of that bulb.[/citation]
Shut the light off and get 100% power savings. What is the purpose of leaving the light on when you are asleep or out of the house? Laziness?

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
If you could pay $144,000 for 60 years of unlimited gas*, would you?
No. It's easier to swallow $50 a week to pay for gas.

*=within reasonable limit of gallons a day, obviously

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Although this is a 'big business' perspective. If they make bulbs that say even last 8 years, wouldn't they be putting themselves out of business? This is great an all, but the way our current market works would seem to put these guys out of business.

silentq

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
[citation][nom]Zenthar[/nom]As aeronaut6, I too would like to see more viable 60W+ bulbs.[/citation]

It'll be coming eventually.. just a matter of time.. patience..

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]pug_s[/nom]Pffft... I have a 40w florescent light in my hallway running for more than 24/7 for 6 years already, that's more than twice than the rated time of that bulb.[/citation]CFLs don't last as long if they're cycled often. Leaving it on might be better for it the longevity of the lamp, instead of turning it on and off constantly. Of course, turning it off saves electricity.

Plus, it depends on the quality of the unit. Cheaper CFLs tend to fail prematurely, especially if your house suffers from dirty power. Not to mention that a lot of cheap CFLs have cheap ballasts that buzz or hum.

A good type of fluorescent bulb for use where it is going to be turned on and off repeatedly would be a CCFL. Not as efficient, however, if it is going to be run constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.