Get Real, Gizmodo. iPad Doesn't Fly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I seen one of those in the flesh. Something that small and thin allows itself to get damaged by accident.
I could see myself accidentally sitting on it or losing it.

Mosswalker

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
[citation][nom]jamezrp[/nom]No worries brianmoz, I had my laptop as well so once I finally got fed up with trying to work on the iPad I switched. And by the way, not everything sucks on the plane! I got a free upgrade and sat next to two small and very quiet people![/citation]

Sitting next to quiet people in and of itself is as good as a first class upgrade. I used to get the "I no shut up" people.

mrtraver

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I read Gizmodo regularly, so I was surprised to see this article here with no recollection of reading it on Gizmodo. Until i remembered the "tag/not:apple/not:ipad" I added to my shortcut!

G

your laptop (assuming it has wifi and an operating system) could very well have been used as a WiFi bridge and let you download movies for the trip back on your iPad. Or do you not know how to do that?

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
qayshp, that was my first idea, but unfortunately restrictions on the hotel DSL line prevented me from doing that. I'd assume most hotels have similar restrictions as a security measure.

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
OK, this is so elementary..

1) Yes, I agree - the iPad is not [yet ;-)] a complete replacement for a Notebook but it can be one if you're creative and tech savvy as the Author should be..

2) This one is important - the iPad virtual keyboard is not designed to write long documents or articles. However!, you can by the simple addition of the very light and very effective wireless keyboard.

3) You don't need to jailbreak your iPad unless you like exploring the innards (like the OS internals) and download freebies that Apple is likely to make obsolete.

4) With all due respect, what kind of Tech Journalist checks himself into a hotel w/o WiFi these days? If you do but have Ethernet (as you did) - pack a little WiFi router or hotspot that includes NAT (they all do) and you are up and running!

5) Pack your little iPad Dock for viewing and stability, airplane or hotel.

The iPad is the 1st generation of the Dynabook predicted by Alan Kay as the only device we will need to carry in the future. This is the 1st generation of that vision and Apple executed it magnificently. No, it's not all things to all people [yet! ;-)] but it is not a Toy by any means and the things you can do with it already. Well, try one.. You can either get in the bandwagon of the future or be left behind...

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Crimola, bear in mind that it was a vacation. I needed to write up a few articles on the plane, perhaps reply to a few emails on the ground, and otherwise enjoy myself. Internet wasn't a necessity, it was a luxury. Typing was, however, a necessity and on the iPad I just couldn't do it for long periods. Sure, it may not be made for that as you say...yet it's also a standalone device with a built-in keyboard.

You can't just drop your iPad into your bag and expect to be able to do just about anything with it. With a laptop, you can (though with a netbook that may be a slower process), but the point is clear: the iPad does not replace a laptop. If you are on the go, taking the iPad and being productive with it means packing at least two or three separate things along with it.

Is that what you want? I don't. That's what I call annoying.

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Don't get annoyed. This has to be kept technical. I have nothing personal against you! ;-) However, your analysis is highly flawed and I detailed the points. If you are High Tech proficient to be a Tech Journalist, let's stick to the technical facts and the flaws in your analysis of what the iPad can and can not do. I honestly don't think you know enough about the device. Please stick to the technical points..

1) Point #1: Vacation or not - if you intend to use, write and entertain yourself (and family) w/ the iPad equip yourself w/ what you need. The *easy* solutions to the problems you found are all out there as many people have pointed out.

2) First thing I did w/ my iPad was what I do w/ every device I have because it empowers you to use all of them effectively - connectivity! and it takes minutes to setup Internet, then remote screen viewing and management, quick file transfers point to point or though a SAN/NAS if one has one deployed.

I mean the ability to control (visually and management) any other computer and device that can interact w/ my new device. Examples: install/enable VNC, Remote Desktop, File Transfers, Etc. (do your own homework on what Apps are best fitted for you). Personally, I have it all enabled and secure to connect to every computer/device on my "home net" live or over the Net. This includes Macs, Windows 7 PCs and Notebook, Linux.. I may be a little more technical (S/W Developer) than the average user but this is no rocket science. Anyone can set this up, maybe with a little reading at most. You're certainly in the category of Tech Savvy, right?

Vacation? sorry if you intended to write articles, why not pack the keyboard and dock? less weight than your jeans/trousers.

Yes, I think the Apple Keyboard is a bit expensive but w/ most Apple products - you get what you pay for.

Sorry but your last point is null. You can pack 2 or 3 (if you include the little dock) in your backpack and it still takes less room than a laptop! Furthermore, if you are traveling from SF to Sydney (example) - that battery in your laptop will give you less than 1/2 the time of the TRUE 10 hour charge on your iPad. Also, don't tell you don't pack your laptop in a case and other accessories along w/ it. If you start debating portability, I am afraid you have a poor base.

I am sorry, I don't like to knock anyone but your article is flawed.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Crimola, I see your points perfectly. The problem is most people who buy an iPad buy it either alone, or possibly with the official Apple iPad case. That's it. The iPad is shown in commercials and reported by Apple to be perfectly manhandled without an external keyboard. That's something of a problem, isn't it? Sure, it's fine to jot down a quite note or two, send an email or whatever, but the point is this: not everyone is that tech savvy. Heck, not everyone who is that tech savvy thinks that far ahead when packing for a trip.

In fact, the main reason this article came about was because while on my laptop checking up on the latest news, I saw the article posted on Gizmodo, and thought "what the hell?" And thus it's here.

Onto your points: 1) Sure, pack and plan properly...but who does that perfectly every time? The hotel said they had internet...why would I even think twice to make sure it was Wi-fi? My first priority was getting the reservations, not making sure I could check emails specifically through my iPad. Hopefully everyone is like this, because it really is all about priorities. Mine were on the vacation, which was ultimately the most important thing.

2) Setting up internet, sure. But look at point #1, and on the first page of this article. The iPad requires an internet connection to perform at 100%, no matter how well you plan things out. If I'd only saved work on my home server and tried to access it on my iPad, I'd be SOL. I'd have had to go out of my way to find a Starbucks, a hotel with free Wi-Fi, or another way to connect my iPad to the internet just to run a VNC app, transfer some files, etc. Why would anyone want to go through that hassle?

Thusly, some people might. Had I only taken my iPad, I would have been forced to as well, and I can say right now having returned after an excellent trip, that I wouldn't have enjoyed missing time spent with my family and relaxing just to connect to the internet for 10-20 minutes. It really isn't worth it, and it really isn't convenient.

Now, if I'm not mistaken, your priority is that the iPad should have secondary controllers (ie, a keyboard). That's good and fine, but imagine having just spent anywhere from $500-$850 on an iPad and now having to spend another $50+ on a travel-keyboard? All this instead of packing a laptop away? Clearly this isn't such a bad idea, but the extra 'things' just pile up.

We're actively searching for the best method to use the iPad as a true laptop replacement, but chances are it won't be cheap. But you'll have to stay tuned for that!

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Jamezrp,

I respect your points but I disagree. No, the iPad is not an end-all or be all for everyone.

However, there is usually a "however":

1) iPad - an *enabling* and *revolutionary* technology.

2) The iPad is expensive, yes. Do you know how much investment (intellectual & $$$) went into the research/development of this little piece of work? Especially, with its compact, elegant design and execution?

3) I am sorry to say this but if you can not afford it (about $600-$700 w/ all you need. Much less if you are patient and frugal AND bid. Well, if you can't afford it now then this does not apply to you.

4) No, my priority is not for the iPad to have secondary "controllers". All you needed was the super light, thin, effective wireless keyboard - based on your vacation and purposes. The dock is cheap and is more of a convenience. For the purposes of your trip the keyboard is available and don't tell me that $50 more is going to break the bank on a trip to HAWAII. Also, if you are a professional and if you intend to write on the road IT IS is quite possible and EASY on the iPad but you should not complain about it based on lack of planning. Sorry..

I will conclude with this (opinion): the iPad is a highly effective platform that enables you (especially a high-tech journalist) to be more effective, learn, be entertained and propels you to move on to next generation in portable technology.
More than 1 million people already disagree w/ you. Apple has sold over a million of them in 3-4 weeks! and you can't get one right now. They are completely sold out. Moreover, Google and a few other prominent companies are scrambling to put something together, in the ways of a similar device ASAP.

In case, you did not check the news yest. Apple became the "Top Dog in Tech" (Mercury News front page) overcoming Microsoft's long term dominance in market value - $222B vs $219B. The point here is that this has taken place though the fine development of devices like the iPod, iPodT, iPhone and now the iPad. Of course, there is the Mac market also..

I am not affiliated w/ Apple in any way though I developed two of the early Mac applications. I am an independent consultant and you can write to me at crimola@gmail.com

Stay tuned for iPxxx OS 4.0. Coming soon to a store near you..

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Last, I promise! ;-)

Who travels to a place like Hawaii these days w/o assuring Internet connectivity? I don't believe I need to mention the benefits but there is a plethora of good info re restaurants, sites, history, maps, directions, current events and pretty much everything about the place. Please, don't tell me you don't have some 20 minutes at night to cruise through the info you need at your finger tips. It takes more time to go down and talk to the concierge which has much more limited information.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Ahh, well see I never said the iPad was bad. In fact, I think its an excellent piece of technology, and use it daily, in fact more often these days than my laptop. That said, my opinion is that it cannot, and does not, replace a laptop, with a physical keyboard or otherwise. Apple didn't mean it to, but its obvious that iPad owners would see such an option an exceptional benefit to their current technology conundrum, of the lightest, smallest piece of computing hardware that still works excellently.

Sure, Apple is now the largest technology-based company, but it's not because of the iPad, but the iPhone. As an iPhone owner (and yes, already using OS 4.0...can't say it's so much better, but we'll know plenty with the full release in a few weeks), I can safely navigate wherever I want in the country without my iPad being connected. I refuse to spend extra on a 3G iPad only to pay $30/month (or $15 with limitations) when I already pay $30/month for data on my phone. Ludicrous that AT&T would charge so much for it on both for anyone who owns both!

However, you're clearly not the typical user. I bet you bought your iPad on day one (or so), knew exactly what you were getting into, and either had or purchased all the necessary hardware and software to make the iPad the perfect experience for you. You are not Apple's target audience. Everyone else is. You like the iPad because, like the iPhone, its a simple, no BS and completely functioning handset that can do almost anything. Everyone else likes it because, well, its shiny, has pretty colors, is an iPod, etc.

That means everyone else goes and gets just the iPad, and maybe gets talked into buying a case to keep their hardware safe. You and I don't necessarily do just that. We understand how the hardware works, and what best compliments it. But as a journalist responding to another journalist's claim that it can replace a laptop so simply, when most people don't even fully understand how to connect one Bluetooth device to another, is in my mind ridiculous. It may work for you and me, but not for everyone else. Who Apple, ultimately, is selling their device to.

So while we may be at the top of the Bell curve, I'm aiming for the middle here.

G

Once the iPhone 4.0 OS gets released for the iPad witch i will assume will have enhanced multi-tasking and many many new features just for the iPad then i do think some even the guy who did the gizmondo review will Re-review and see what can be done with it daily as a only device if possible to be a laptop killer cause i do think in some areas it is

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Well, this is an interesting discussion on the iPad and your article on it.

James, as I said before I respect your opinion but reserve the right to disagree (hopefully, w/ facts). I'll try to make it quick and simple. Taking it in order:

Glad to agree on a couple of points like the technology and you, yourself, state "I think its an excellent piece of technology, and use it daily, in fact more often these days than my laptop".

OTOH, your article is based on your premise that it is not a replacement for a laptop but you say you often use it more than your laptop? Hmm..

With a little more planning - it would have served you as well or better than a laptop. I don't go on vacations to write software or articles but I do write and yes the wireless keyboard takes less space than a t-shirt or a large bag of beef jerky or a sourdough bread from SFO/SJC.

I believe most of us find that assuring Internet access is of benefit to the whole family and the overall experience on a vacation. I depend on it as I am always on call. In your line of work, I recommend you assure, ahead of your vacation, that you will have proper and usable Internet access.

I agree that I don't fall under the typical category (more technical, and I say it with humility). On the other hand, I am also not the typical early enthusiast and buyer of an iPad. No, I did not buy it on day one. I *researched" this puppy thoroughly and tested it out before buying it and one of the driving forces was cost vs benefit as well as the recognition that this is a technological (and very useful) breakthrough.

No, the virtual keyboard is not designed to replace a real keyboard for writing articles, books, code.. However, you can do it very effectively with the wireless keyboard and excellent free or cheap ($12 max!) document/word Apps. James, I always test out my setup at home before I set out on a vacation or a business trip. Why didn't you at least try typing a page with the virtual keyboard?

Apple did not mean to? Plz! I am sorry but I give more credibility to what Apple has accomplished in innovation and marketing. I think Apple designed this device just right. It is the design of several devices that has made Apple the Top Dog in Tech. I don't want to defend Apple too much here. I am more of a Linux, Open Source, believer but I believe I can recognize real innovations objectively.

Market V.: actually, yes - the iPhone market is huge but what propelled Apple's market value above Microsoft's was the "unexpected" (for some) iPad sales and success. About 54 million iPhones have been sold. If the iPad continues its run, it won't be long before it reaches a similar high mark. Time will tell..

BTW, you know it can be used as a phone and an iPod as well right? Look into the line2 App in the AppStore. It can use the 3G(s) infra. but if you are within WiFi reach it uses VOIP (free).

OS 4.0 - you are missing the benefits of what a multi-tasking OS brings. Of course the Apps (200,000 and counting!) may need some modifications to take full advantage of OS 4.0 features but what you will soon have is the ability to listen to iTunes (yes, the iPad is also an iPod) or Pandora, run a web server (already available as an App) in the background, write an e-mail, doc, code, play chess or a video game, watch a movie and be able to suspend and switch while everything remains running (some tasks in the background). That, is the benefit of OS 4.0 besides improved memory/storage/cpu utilization.

Take care..

crimola

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Shoot,

This is the problem w/ blogs, emails, etc. as opposed to face to face communication. Having re-read my postings, I feel I am being a little harsh here. Especially, since you make some good points and I'll be sure to prepare for a turbulent flight if I go on vacation w/ my iPad. Even then, I agree, you don't have the stability and vision of a notebook.

jamezrp

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
The harsher, the better! Good to have a constructive and informative conversation about tech with someone who isn't in the office (not that that's a bad thing...)

Quite a bit to respond to, so I'll take it step by step.

I don't always need my laptop because I'm not always on a keyboard typing 500-10,000 word articles. Sometimes I'm just checking emails, playing games to review, testing new apps, or (gasp!) using it for personal stuff, like streaming Pandora or watching TV through ABC Player. My laptop I use when I'm on the go and know I'll need to type. Otherwise, I've got a desktop that does everything better than the iPad. And, well, most computers.

Sure, I could have planned my trip better, but I'm only human. They say they have internet, I don't ask what kind...or at least, I didn't before. I will from now on. The iPad may well have served me better...but not alone. Alone is what we're talking about, because I literally dropped it in my bag with nothing else. No case, no keyboard, nothing but the power cable (which I didn't even need, which was quite incredible).

My mistake on the assumption, but clearly you've done your homework. You know about the tech, you know about the company, you are a tech-savvy consumer.

To clear something up, I meant that Apple never meant for the iPad to replace a laptop. They still sell Macbooks and are constantly improving them, and there's clearly a good reason for doing so (besides the business end). PCs (that's personal computer, not Windows machines) are so much more powerful than mobile devices like todays phones and tablet(s) that it'll be at least another 3-5 years before they catch up to today's computers in processing power. And they won't be as powerful as the PCs of that time! But it'll be a whole different world then, and I can't prophecize with absolute certainty.

As for why Apple is #1, I don't think it's their design. It's their total encompassing attitude towards consumers. They have their own stores for their products, they cover all repairs you need, customers get the best service of any other PC manufacturer, and they make all their own hardware and software (or at least put it together). And they're predictable with their products, for the most part. That means we all know there'll be a new iPhone in the next few weeks announced, that at certain times there are hardware refreshes, and everything is simple. It's all done for the user.

In the end, that's what the extra "Mac tax" is, to get this benefit over Windows machines, which has layers of people to talk to. Own a Dell PC? That means you've got to take your repairs to Best Buy where you bought it, or call Dell support and wait for an hour, or try to talk to Microsoft about your problems (but they'll make you pay!)...the list goes on and on. For Apple, it's, a simple, one-step process.

And yes, I know that 4.0 is basically useless without the added benefit of 4.0-utilized apps besides for a few extra things. Then again, it's still not perfectly stable and I've already reset my phone...4 times? And bricked it for several hours-days twice. Good fun!

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Ah apple masters of selling smoke to airheads! Gotta love em... they sell the sizzle not the sausage... precisely why i won't waste my money on their crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.