Solved! Gigabyte P34G Laptop does not turn on when plugged in

Jan 21, 2022
Hi All,

my P34G laptop has recently had a problem where laptop does not turn on when it's plugged into power supply and battery is disconnected.
it does however turns on with battery.
my initial assumption was that power supply is unable to provide power to the motherboard. so I check the adaptor head. it is supplying 19V.
then I checked the power jack, there are 3 pins at the back attaching the power jack to motherboard, there is 19V reading between the outer 2 pins.
since laptop operates on battery just fine, my guess is motherboard is not the issue.

could it be that power jack is faulty even though i get 19V readings on it? or is this an issue of the circuitry between power jack and rest of the motherboard?

is it worth to purchase a power jack and replace it?

what do you think?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Are you saying the battery is not charging when unit is plugged in? Also, is the unit completely dead when only hooked up to external power? I didn't read your original post well enough. Sorry.

You may get lucky and fix the problem with changing the jack. The problem is that there are many other components that could be bad also. Without a schematic (impossible to get in general) there is not an easy way to troubleshoot without "reverse engineering" the design which is very difficult to do. You may consider sending the unit back to the manufacturer for repair (won't be cheap). Another path might be to post on a Gigabyte specific forum, if there is one, and see if your issue is common place. Sorry I can't be more help.
It may be the case that the power supply within you laptop needs to draw on the battery also to produce enough internal power to run the machine. Is the external adapter the one the machine came with? Is this a new problem? Are you reading the 19V both when the machine has the battery in and out?

You really need an oscilloscope (and a lot of experience) to tell if the external power is the problem. If the jack is a problem, it is likely you would notice some warmth around the jack.

Why is it a problem to just leave the battery installed?

Jan 21, 2022
Hi,

The power supply is not faulty, it produces 19V. Power supply does not need the battery to have the laptop turn on. Laptop turns on with battery only, and with battery and power supply but I am certain it is not drawing power from power supply because the light that shows power supply is charging the battery does not turn on.
I've also tested this with a second power supply reaching same result.
What I need to figure out is whether my power jack that's faulty or it's something else in motherboard not letting the power from power supply to be distributed.
If It's power jack at fault, I can simply replace that myself, and if it's another component or circuitry within motherboard, then it's time to say goodbye to this laptop.

If you have a method for me to identify between the two, please let me know.

Thanks

Are you saying the battery is not charging when unit is plugged in? Also, is the unit completely dead when only hooked up to external power? I didn't read your original post well enough. Sorry.

You may get lucky and fix the problem with changing the jack. The problem is that there are many other components that could be bad also. Without a schematic (impossible to get in general) there is not an easy way to troubleshoot without "reverse engineering" the design which is very difficult to do. You may consider sending the unit back to the manufacturer for repair (won't be cheap). Another path might be to post on a Gigabyte specific forum, if there is one, and see if your issue is common place. Sorry I can't be more help.

Solution