Gigs???

G

I use email, a mls system, quicken and word. I don't game or play music. I see an HP Notebook on sale with 1 gig of memory and 1 gig harddrive. Is this enough - I have know idea what it even means. Thanks in advance - obviously I am too old to know anything about computers except for basic use.

HappyBison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I don't think you can find a laptop with 1GB of Memory and 1GB Hard drive.
1GB of Memory is okay, but 1GB Hard drive is at least 7-10 years old.

All those specs depends on what OS you will run.
For example, Windows XP will work fine on 1-2GB. Windows Vista will require at least 2-3GB for your tasks.
Hard drive can be any size for your tasks (these are usually starts with 60-80GB and up).

G

Thank you for responding. I was wrong about the Hard drive it is 120 GB sata for $279 and 160 GBSata for $299. They are both Windows XP These are MSI Intel Atom processors .N270. The also have a Mini 10 Netbook by Dell with 1 gb sd ram memory and 160 gb sata hD for $329.
Do these sound okay or do I need to be into the ones that are closer to $700 to $1000 to be okay. These are all for sale at a computer store in my area.

frozenlead

Distinguished
That mini notebook your buying (also known as a netbook) has a small screen and shrunk keyboard. You may want to try using one before you sink your money into it, especially considering you're going to work on it.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
In other words, netbooks like that are basically speed-wise the notebooks of very yester-year and have tiny screens. Now, the size makes them great - for a second computer/laptop. I wouldn't personally consider using one as a main computer in the slightest. I'd go for something with a bit more oomph. Or since moving up from that means a dual core, at least double the speed is what you'd end up with.