Gmail Rolls Out SMS Chat (This Time For Real)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Another freakin Lab project? Jesus Google, commit to something besides your crappy browser.

Besides, Yahoo! has had this for months now. Don't know if you can block SMS texts to your phone though, I'll have to look into that, if I had friends who texted me, or friends at all :(.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've written a few programs that can send text to cell phones, and its trivial to allow them to reply back. Seriously, I could write an app that would send and receive texts in a couple of hours. I use something like this all the time on my own website to notify me of urgent issues on the server and I can reply to the message with a command that gets sent and then runs on the server. Of course, my cell company allows me to receive text messages via email (555-555-5555@provider.com) and the replies just go to the email of whoever sent the original message.

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Way cool but the bills can roll up quickly for the recipient. Every time you hit "Enter", you send an SMS which means that it can cost the recipient anywhere from 5-20 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.