Good Developer/Gaming Laptop?

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I'm looking for a new developer/basic gaming laptop to replace my current laptop. I bought a thinkpad i7 laptop in 2013 that I was pretty happy with. I bought an i5 thinkpad flex in 2015 for something I could use as a tablet alternate while still having a development. I thought a newer i5 would be at least as good as a 2 year older i7, but the thinkpad flex was noticeably slower. Unfortunately the i7 machine broke down and I've been left with the flex for a while, now have money to look at an upgrade.

I'm looking for a developer laptop primarily and gamer laptop secondary. I tend to develop a lot for data crunching research or developing games. So I want a fair bit of processing capability, I assume i7 is pretty much minimum. I do want to balance this against cost, I'm willing to spend money on a good laptop, but not twice as much for a 10% faster machine. Like the Lenovo laptop with Xeon would be freaken cool, but probably not worth it when I could dump the job off to a desktop with a real processor.

Graphics wise, I'm not looking for ability to play a game with maxed out graphics, just something able to run lowish graphics smoothly. Could do embedded graphics but I think a fair stand alone card would be preferable. I do like high resolution though, not needed but better than 1080p would be nice. Somewhat(?) related, I do like my numberpad so I think a 15" is minimum but I had a 17" before, kick ass machine but the size gets annoying after a while.

I don't need much storage, I've got 256Gb SSD on my current machine and am only using about half of it. I do a lot of data processing, but don't store a lot of data. 16Gb minimum on the memory though

One nitpick is I would prefer a laptop that I can change the memory or drives when needed.

I'm thinking something like a Lenovo ThinkPad T series laptop but wondering what the best options might be these days.

Thanks!

Solution
You might look at the legion thinkpad essential Y520 unit available on the Lenovo outlet.
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Legion-Y520/p/80YY0060US
It includes a I7-7700HQ processor.
The big difference between the7700HQ and a I7-7600U is that the HQ has 8 threads vs. 4.

Check the notebook reviews on any unit you are considering.
You should be able to verify what ram/drive upgrades are available.
In my experience the thinkpad units are easy to upgrade.
My Y700 certainly was.

Lutfij

Splendid
1| You didn't state a budget and your location of purchase or a preferred site for purchase.
2| You wont get a Xeon on a laptop's form factor unless you're looking at workstation class laptop which will quite frankly chop anyones head off.
3| You could look through these laptops listed in this article.

drethon

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Budget is part of what I'm trying to figure out. Mostly looking at where the fastest machines are without pushing the price/performance curve too much. Initially I'm thinking it is probably in the $2,000-$2,500 range but wondering if anything fits at lower prices.

geofelt

Distinguished
How much do you need portability?
You can likely build a much stronger machine for your money using a desktop.

Assuming you need a laptop. I really like the thinkpad units. They are solid with good keyboards.
I do not see any units with 8th gen processors and 17" screens yet.
They are likely coming.

geofelt

Distinguished
You might look at the legion thinkpad essential Y520 unit available on the Lenovo outlet.
https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/outletus/lenovo-legion-y-series-laptops/Legion-Y520/p/80YY0060US
It includes a I7-7700HQ processor.
The big difference between the7700HQ and a I7-7600U is that the HQ has 8 threads vs. 4.

Check the notebook reviews on any unit you are considering.
You should be able to verify what ram/drive upgrades are available.
In my experience the thinkpad units are easy to upgrade.
My Y700 certainly was.

Solution