Good engineering laptop for college

IVIoto

Honorable
May 4, 2013
I am trying to decide on a laptop for college. I need a laptop that can handle the engineering programs and is a decent gaming laptop.

I have looked at clevo sellers, and I like the Malibal Lotus but the battery life is pretty short.

1. What is your budget?
~$1750

2. What is the size of the notebook?
14-15 inch

3. How much battery life do you need?
As much as I can get

4. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
League of Legends, high quality/high fps.

Quick answer (this one?):
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=70924&vpn=G55VW-DS71&manufacture=ASUS

Long answer:
At this budget, you may wish to consider a laptop AND a desktop. For example:
1) $400 laptop (Windows 8, basic CPU/GPU)

2) $1300 gaming laptop

This way your laptop could be lighter and quieter to use at school, while you'd have a more powerful gaming desktop (A $1300 desktop will defeat a $1800 laptop).

Other (engineering software):
1) Demanding RAM requirements?
2) GPU acceleration?
3) Screen resolution (i.e. 1920x1080 recommended)

HASWELL:
Haswell's main advantage is very low-power when idling/minimal use. As great as that is:
1) Will price warrant it?
2) Look at GAMING battery life, not normal usage. (battery capacity may diminish for more efficient Haswell laptops)

Other (MONITOR):
If you only get a laptop, consider getting a DESKTOP MONITOR, and a USB keyboard/mouse combo as well (24", 1920x1080, good reviews). Some also have HDMI input as well as AUDIO OUTPUT so you can use a single HDMI cable from the laptop for video and audio (I recommend audio output for desktop speakers, not monitor speakers).

You can use BOTH your laptop and desktop monitors at the same time (when using the laptop) so you could have your main program on the desktop and help files on laptop or word processor/internet etc.