Good laptop to customize

schwartzasher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016
Hi there. I am looking for a laptop that I can buy for under 500 with touchscreen and be able to customize it myself and make it into a good gaming laptop. I do not care what brand as long as I can customize it. Or, are there any deals on Alienware laptops right now?

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
What you're looking for doesn't really exist, especially if you're on such a budget. Only way is by getting a laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port, which will give you the possibility to use external GPU's. Stupidly expensive mind.

schwartzasher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

I want to buy something for under $500 and then customize it myself after that.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013
I get it, but parts will be soldered and you won't be able to customize/upgrade it.

What you want is a Mini-ITX PC, which you can customize whatever way you want. That's why PC's are popular.

Get something like this:

Case: Silverstone RVZ01B Mini ITX Desktop Case ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $78.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-19 05:29 EST-0500

And make your own mITX PC, It's fun.

schwartzasher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

Ok thank you for your input. I guess I will just have to either buy an Alienware or customize my own PC whichever one I want. Are there any deals on alienware or know when there may be some good deals?

If by "customize" you mean upgrading components, it' not gonna happen on a laptop beyond adding more RAM and fitting an SSD in place of the HDD.

Seriously, satisfactory gaming (with the latest game titles) and upgrading, is more suited to a desktop PC unless you are willing to pay the asking price for a genuine gaming laptop (they cost double the 500 you want to spend).

schwartzasher

Commendable
Nov 8, 2016

I am willing to pay more I just thought it would be fun to do it for 500 plus the part upgrade but since it is not an option, what gaming laptops would you recommend?

If you're looking for a fun time messing with hardware and you're up for a challenge, you could consider going on eBay and buy an old IBM ThinkPad T43 and "upgrade" it to run modern-ish games, like the guy in this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtXYjZ0w6w

And this guy claims he can run Crysis on an IBM T60:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5WNzsJm6uo

Touch-screens are not available, though...

InOrderToSignIn

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017

Would recommend the Node 203 if you're going to use a SSD. I bought the RVZ02b, and realized I could have gone a couple inches smaller -.-