Google’s Pixel Stand 2 changed my mind about wireless charging

Mar 14, 2023
I've got good news for you Tom! You don't have to take the case off. I have the official Google case and it works fine charging through it. The price tag gives you much more than you use it for.

It also knows when I will be getting up and waits to complete charging past 80% until just before I get up.

Also. Using the hub and Bluetooth, it's wonderful for playing music over your various speakers.

Mar 14, 2023
Exactly, on all points. It's also a great bedside charger for the reason you mention, which helps preserve battery life, and also I have mine set to display photos like my hub does and when I shut the lights, the display goes off. I set my fan speed so it's quiet so it doesn't bother me. It's money well spent and provides much more of a complete experience than just a wire. My 6 pro battery life isn't terrible so Tom be sure to check out your app usage. I use mine a lot during the day but am very rarely that low at end of day. Battery could be better but could be worse too. Anyway keep up the good work.

Reactions: Dudewithaplan
Mar 14, 2023
Exactly, on all points. It's also a great bedside charger for the reason you mention, which helps preserve battery life, and also I have mine set to display photos like my hub does and when I shut the lights, the display goes off. I set my fan speed so it's quiet so it doesn't bother me. It's money well spent and provides much more of a complete experience than just a wire. My 6 pro battery life isn't terrible so Tom be sure to check out your app usage. I use mine a lot during the day but am very rarely that low at end of day. Battery could be better but could be worse too. Anyway keep up the good work.
Not to derail the thread, but my 6 pro battery life was great until the February update (through T-Mobile). Now it's crap. I've experimented with deleting changes I made around that time, to no avail.

Mar 14, 2023
Good point. I'm on vzw, no huge differences that I can tell. Did you reach out to T-Mobile? If they know, perhaps they can work with Google to try to figure it out. Would seem to be modem related? I'm always hesitant because they throw in the factory restore before wanting to do anything.

Mar 14, 2023
This is the first wireless charger I've had since the Google Nexus One Dock which was incredible. Still the best setup ever!

r
nexus_1_dock_4_slashgear-540x359.jpg

nexus_1_dock_6_slashgear-540x360.jpg

Mar 14, 2023
Good point. I'm on vzw, no huge differences that I can tell. Did you reach out to T-Mobile? If they know, perhaps they can work with Google to try to figure it out. Would seem to be modem related? I'm always hesitant because they throw in the factory restore before wanting to do anything.
Idk. I think it's probably some setting. I'm down to 61% at 9:30AM with heavy use since 6am.

Tom Pritchard

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
I've got good news for you Tom! You don't have to take the case off. I have the official Google case and it works fine charging through it. The price tag gives you much more than you use it for.

It also knows when I will be getting up and waits to complete charging past 80% until just before I get up.

Also. Using the hub and Bluetooth, it's wonderful for playing music over your various speakers.

Unfortunately it's not the case that's the problem! I've no idea if it can conduct wireless charging because there's a popsocket grip and a magnet (for the stand in my car) in the way. Unfortunately both those things are more important to me than the convenience of not peeling the case off.

Maybe the Qi 2 standard will solve this problem for me. There are various grips that work with Apple's MagSafe, so maybe one day I can have it all. For now, not so much

Reactions: Dudewithaplan

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
I have the Pixel Stand 2 but I cannot figure out when it is on the stand how to bypass the quick controls. 90% of the time it goes into those when i want to view my notifications. I like the quick controls to easily change the charging speed but where do i click on my phone to avoid quick controls when docked?

May 25, 2023
I have the Pixel Stand 2 as well. Maybe you're still new to it, but, while I agree it's overall a good buy, it has problems to work around.

First, it's smart to make it cool the phone as it charges. That's great for everyone. And peace of mind that it's designed to charge this phone matters more than it should given how many chargers don't work or fall back to 5W.

And it's cute it does the little sunrise wake up thing in the morning. In a dark enough room with white walls it can actually put quite the effect into the room.

But, it crashes. A lot. It's a little computer that blinks its orange light when it's done booting, and it's easy to have it outright crash and just stop charging. You place your phone on the device, the phone does the animation to say it knows it's on the Stand, but the Stand just never starts charging the phone. If you're in and out in an hour you might not notice that quick charge you needed never happened, until it's too late - has happened to me over and over.

Google and phone manufacturers in general also just need to stop selling extremely expensive devices that are fundamentally too fragile to be handheld. You can make something expensive, handheld, or fragile, choose only 2. But if it's not gonna be cheap it had better be durable.

The Pixel Stand makes this worse 3x:

* Once you apply a case that distance between charger radio and gather antenna is farther, increasing heat and slowing down charge
* The Pixel Stand is shaped like a curved cradle for a Pixel 4, which is almost half the size of the 6 and 7 Pro, both of which want to fall right out of it and are pushed away from the antenna by being too large, and then
* A case - a must have given these are fragile $1000 devices - pushes it even further away
* The metal on the phone meant to help it cool from the air pushed by the Stands fans is blocked by the plastic case that transfers very little heat, and acts more like an insulator. A nice little oven for your battery that's susceptible to heat

I don't see a fix for most of this except for the case to be designed for this all to work properly (and the Stand to accommodate Pixel 5+s excessive size, or make the Pixel 8 much smaller)