Google Attacks Microsoft With Cloud Connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

danstl

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Umm obviously from the screen shot provided you did not read the directions. If you want changes from others to be immediately reflected in your document you have to choose the other option "Automatic sync" We have been using this tool for some time now and found that it works perfectly.. Also as far as slide animations and such - though they wont "sync" down they are in the file that is synced up - SO if you actually download the file via the URL then you get the entire version videos/animations and all... This keeps the sync operation quick and instant - otherwise if someone put a 30MB video embeded in the powerpoint it would take a LONG ass time to sync changes :) but the placemarker for the video would exist.

-Dan

danstl

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Umm obviously from the screen shot provided you did not read the directions. If you want changes from others to be immediately reflected in your document you have to choose the other option "Automatic sync" We have been using this tool for some time now and found that it works perfectly.. Also as far as slide animations and such - though they wont "sync" down they are in the file that is synced up - SO if you actually download the file via the URL then you get the entire version videos/animations and all... This keeps the sync operation quick and instant - otherwise if someone put a 30MB video embeded in the powerpoint it would take a LONG ass time to sync changes :) but the placemarker for the video would exist.

-Dan

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I'm no MS funboi by any means but if Google, or any company for that matter, takes on MS directly they will lose.[/citation]
MS ain't doing so good in the Smartphone department.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey guilfylfyilyf...Why don't ya all just flake out before you arrive at toms hardware now...An enjoy a peacefull nites sleep,so we all don't have to read those rip off free add posts that ya all chuck up on these threads...

G

When actually install this you'll laugh - Google has just shot itself in the foot!

Their "Cloud Connect" forces you to use Microsoft - if you decide to open the document in the browser, then you can't open it in Office anymore.

Given the choice, I think people will stay with Microsoft, or use tools like Officsync or Syncdocs which work between the two

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I'm no MS funboi by any means but if Google, or any company for that matter, takes on MS directly they will lose.[/citation]

They already have lost really. At least in Denmark. Googles online services have been dismissd serveral times when they tried to get goverment clearance due to security reasons. Microsoft has been granted the clearance however. I'm not sure if that's because they're offering live@edu or if their security is simply more in compliance with goverment expectations.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]MS ain't doing so good in the Smartphone department.[/citation]

Give it time mate. Hopefully the increased competition will help us out.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]MS ain't doing so good in the Smartphone department.[/citation]
I don't think MS has ever started in first place in anything they have done, but they usually end up in top place eventually.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
WTF... um... title fail?
Google just released a tool that allows M$ Office to be used in conjunction with Google Docs, rather than being forced to just use a browser, and it's considered an attack? Come on, at least have TRUTHFUL headlines, rather than false statements that have little to do with the actual content, just because they are sure to grab viewers. It's starting to get out of control, Tom's...

keolien

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Why would someone keep their docs on Cloud is beyond me...[/citation]

Well, since you asked; How about reliability? 99.9%+ up time with most cloud services. Parity? Your data is guarded against system fail and loss.

How about 10$ a user instead of paying for an IT department, Server energy and cooling costs, or the constant need to upgrade?

If governance of data is of no issue, than it's all about the money companies can save. Many companies never go fully in the cloud and use co-existence anyway.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
To everyone, The Cloud is great for backup, but not as a primary service. It can be very cost effective and reliable because it is offsite and readily accessible to many mobile devices. But you can't take internet connectivity for granted (Eygpt like scenarios). Nor does the Cloud have a perfect track record (remember Microsoft's blunder with Danger?). Most everyone visiting Tom's has enough common sense to know to use the Cloud for secondary off-site backup and sync.

Tom's it would be great if you did a updated feature article on the balanced use of implementing these various back-up and syncing services with some insights from industry professionals.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
i would use a service like this. It would fill a need I have right now :D how to send/receve all my school notes, from my PC at home without needing them connected to the same network.

Im already able to sync relatively well with images, but an auto sync feature for office documents would make shuffeling paper work easy, not to mention that i wount ever have to worry about leaving a paper behind ever again :((

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]keolien[/nom]Well, since you asked; How about reliability? 99.9%+ up time with most cloud services. Parity? Your data is guarded against system fail and loss. How about 10$ a user instead of paying for an IT department, Server energy and cooling costs, or the constant need to upgrade?If governance of data is of no issue, than it's all about the money companies can save. Many companies never go fully in the cloud and use co-existence anyway.[/citation]

Data Governance. Security speaks in volumes greater than can ever be addressed. Microsoft is already pre-programming people via "Yay! Cloud!" commercials to set up Windows v8. GOogle Chrome OS exclusively storing user-data server-side concerns me more, even though I avoid Google products like the plague it is. THEY legally own the data on their servers, and may do with it what ever they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.