Google Details Security Enhancements in Android 4.2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"The latest Android Jelly Bean upgrade comes after a study found that Google's mobile platform is increasingly becoming a growing target for malware."

Every OS is a target for malware.
Latest upgrade comes as a natural evolution of technology (all OSes upgrade, you know).
Point being, trying to imply a causality link here doesn't make it so, even for Zak.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
The latest Android Jelly Bean upgrade comes after a study found that Google's mobile platform is increasingly becoming a growing target for malware.
Yes, that must indeed be the reason for the update.

/sarcasm

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
"The latest Android Jelly Bean upgrade comes after a study found that Google's mobile platform is increasingly becoming a growing target for malware."

Which basically means Android is growing by leaps and bounds. No hacker bothers to write viruses that target the minority of the users.

And here Zak says : "But my iOS is sooooo secure that it kills virus on infection"

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]And most computers won't get it for months because carriers control software updates..[/citation]
Well, just keep your USB debugging locked at all times and do not allow sideloading (installing from unknown sources) and you should be fine.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
So when is Google going to stop sending the real name, email address, city and ZIP f customer who purchase Apps to the developer of those Apps?

That's a bigger security breach than what they"fixed". Then again, with Google telling journalists who report this story to "tone it down" maybe they'll be successful in burying this story.

Just Google "google play security flaw" to read for yourself.

Mamoon69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Google.. Any news about supporting NTFS file system for MicroSD, external hard disk and external thumb drives???
Come on Google!!! I need to transfer files directly to/from my 1TB HDD but I can't because Android 4.1.2 does not support NTFS ! You'll say: Format it using FAT32. I'll say: Impossible because I will lose all advantages of NTFS including support for files larger than 4GB.
Also, we need to download files larger than 4GB which is not supported on non-internal storage or through external USB OTG connection)

Mamoon69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]annymmo[/nom]How about formatting it with ext4?Android uses ext4:[/citation]
I want to use my 32GB flash drive & 1TB drive in Windows 7 & on My Galaxy S3. So, Ext4 is not compatible with Win7.

I am seeking a simple solution to use NTFS on my SGS3 without rooting the device. I know there is a software on Google Play that can do that but it requires "rooting" which is not safe on my VISA, accounts & passwords.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Mamoon69[/nom]I want to use my 32GB flash drive & 1TB drive in Windows 7 & on My Galaxy S3. [/citation]

The link below allows for Win7 to read Ext2/Ext3/Ext4, HFS and ReiserFS file systems. Though don't think it will allow you to write to an Ext4 file system.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Yes, the inability to transfer files larger than 2GB to external storage on any device because of FAT limitations seems insane in this day and age... why can't they decide on a format that does support file sizes that typical of modern usage?

Mamoon69

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Why Google not permitting Android users to format external USB OTG & microSD storage on their devices as NTFS as an option? NTFS will make the storage fully accessible by MS-Windows & Android, in addition to removal of 4GB limitation.
Android should be able to connect to NTFS external storage easily. I know it is an old file system but at least you can communicate with Windows world.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Mamoon69[/nom]Why Google not permitting Android users to format external USB OTG & microSD storage on their devices as NTFS as an option? NTFS will make the storage fully accessible by MS-Windows & Android, in addition to removal of 4GB limitation.Android should be able to connect to NTFS external storage easily. I know it is an old file system but at least you can communicate with Windows world.[/citation]

I'm just guessing, but it could be that NTFS may be a proprietary format and given how MS doesn't particularly like Google, it could be a sticking point. Patents anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.