Google Does 180 on Offline Maps for New Android App

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgult

Honorable
Jan 20, 2013
Why on earth would they want to turn off that feature in the first place? It's pretty much the only use of Google Maps on the phone, since 3G coverage is embarrassing in many places outdoors...

EddieLomax

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
The Nokia (Navtec) maps have had full offline maps for years now and they are the same ones that 90% of car manufacturers use already.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I bought the HTC One a couple of months ago and thought that feature was great, just navigate to anywhere, zoom out as far as you want and click on save map offline, turn off wifi and 4g data and pull up the GPS app and it uses the stored map. Most everyone I know has iphones and they were like Wow, that's nice, turn by turn voice offline nav.

reactive

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Offline maps has never seemed to work reliably on my Nexus 7. I save a map offline, drive a few miles, start up the Nexus and it says it can't load the map! I think it worked on ONE occasion (and it was brilliantly useful), but then stopped again. As far as I can see, Google keep intermittently messing it up / fixing it with each update.

Status
Not open for further replies.