Google Engineers Found More Than Half of Microsoft's Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
When you're looking for ways to exploit a competitors browser to bypass security and show ads (like they got fined $22 million for with Apples Safari), then you're bound to come across lots of "flaws".

G

This is actually really good competition for the consumer. Each side finding flaws, and each fixing their own. In the end, both sides will have a very robust system. This is how it should be, real engineers doing their work.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Microsoft had recently said that it would launch 12 security fixes to remove a large number of bugs on Windows 8 and Windows RT. The number of bugs came close to the software titan's all-time record of 64 bugs in one month.

So, 12 is close to 64? Hmmm. . . .

stickmansam

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
[citation][nom]socalboomer[/nom]So, 12 is close to 64? Hmmm. . . .[/citation]
57 bugs vs 64 bugs

but the bugs were addressed using only 12 patches/fixes

jeffunit

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
plus the fact that MS pays a nice little sum for bug catches doesn't hurt Google bottom line any

Sure they do, as long as you consider Zero to be a 'nice little sum'.
There is no bug bounty from microsoft. Perhaps you are confusing them with google who does have a bug bounty.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Considering that Google is looking at their competition for anything, it is no surprise that they were able to find so many security bugs. However, it is any company's responsibility to help fix these bugs when discovered. No company is perfect at Q/A controls.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I wonder when these guys will fix the bug in the new Google Earth that decides to keep caching to your HDD (no matter the limit set) and take up all free space.

Had a customer with a 500GB HDD that GE took up 424GB worth.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]jupiter optimus maximus[/nom]This is actually really good competition for the consumer. Each side finding flaws, and each fixing their own. In the end, both sides will have a very robust system. This is how it should be, real engineers doing their work.[/citation]
even better would be open source code: programmers all over the world could find flaws and submit fixes.

security flaws would be found and fixed waayyy faster.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is what is known as constructive criticism. Google didn't go out and make a big deal of it, they just reported the findings to MSFT, and apparently MSFT fixed them. This is a good example of what the relationship should be for something like security - sharing relevant information and competing on features and ability on a relatively level playing field,

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I wonder when these guys will fix the bug in the new Google Earth that decides to keep caching to your HDD (no matter the limit set) and take up all free space.Had a customer with a 500GB HDD that GE took up 424GB worth.[/citation]

Mine works fine on win7.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]This is what is known as constructive criticism. Google didn't go out and make a big deal of it, they just reported the findings to MSFT, and apparently MSFT fixed them. This is a good example of what the relationship should be for something like security - sharing relevant information and competing on features and ability on a relatively level playing field,[/citation]They don't always play so nice, though.

"You have five days before we take a dump in your cereal" is an example of this.[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I wonder when these guys will fix the bug in the new Google Earth that decides to keep caching to your HDD (no matter the limit set) and take up all free space.Had a customer with a 500GB HDD that GE took up 424GB worth.[/citation]That's not a bug, it's a feature! The REAL bug is that he doesn't have a 3TB hard drive. FIX IT JIMMY.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I wonder when these guys will fix the bug in the new Google Earth that decides to keep caching to your HDD (no matter the limit set) and take up all free space.Had a customer with a 500GB HDD that GE took up 424GB worth.[/citation]
Never happened, man. 424 MB, sure but not GB. :lol:

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I'm sure China is just waiting until they have a sufficient # of bugs on MS and Google before notifying them, like a couple thousand....

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]daglesj[/nom]And I'm currently trying to fix a laptop that one of those updates has crufted![/citation]
Prove it was the update that caused it, otherwise you are just trollin'

Status
Not open for further replies.