Google Glass Heralded as the Next iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

crABtoad

Honorable
May 12, 2012
This reads like an ad. Any interest I had in Glass was destroyed when I found out that Google was complicit in the PRISM program. I have no desire to put an NSA wireless camera on my face.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I only put it at 50/50 that the study's author knows there were and are other smart phones beside the Apple's offering? I've run into that before. It's difficult to tell if it is more sad or hilarious.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Call me when Google Glass takes the place of regular glasses, replaces playing the "E-Game" at the eye doctor's office and getting corrective lenses. That, and automatically adjusts the lenses based on sunlight so you don't have to put on/remove sunglasses.

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
My prediction:

The first run will be small but it will sell out. Then they will make a lot more and they will not sell.

In the end it will be overhyped and have a very small number of sales.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
In every picture I have seen the glasses are crooked, probable because one side weighs more. When viewing the 'screen' you look like a spaz. Over, done.

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
its a fad, they will go away once people realize the limitations of the device. It's definitely not ready to replace a smartphone, this is a gimmick...very similar to the iWatch or w/e smart watch crap they are producing now days.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think a huge problem with the Google Glass implementation is how they get around the fact Android is a mess of code that is inefficient, and any program written for it will inherently be slow; yet offer it in a tiny form factor.

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
version 1 Glass more of a Newton than an iPhone,
This. I was just going to quip something to that effect, before I saw it.

I absolutely believe in the potential of augmented reality, but the v1 Glass will barely scrape the surface of what's ultimately possible.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I do see this as the next evolution in personal communication devices. Its a lot easier to simply wear glasses than to lug around a smartphone. After this the next evolution will be a physical implant. An article came out a few years back about efforts to develop a communications device that directly interfaces with the brain and is powered by electrical charges that occur naturally in the body. Mark my words its not if but when all this will happen and we will see this in the next 20 years...

bit_user

Distinguished
Herald
Jan 20, 2010
Yes, like the Newton, which they said.

But the Newton was a distant precursor to iPhone. Glass v1 will not have an iPhone-scale impact, but a true augmented reality product will eventually follow (whether from Google or somebody else) that will.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Yeah, but it is so minimalist in design... I wonder if Google will also try to prevent all other manufacturers from producing anything that barely resembles it. Knowing Google probably not. If I'm right then I'm excited for the possibility of a mini golden age for personal electronics from the innovation that will ensue. Here's hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.