Google Goggles to Be Released on Other Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I have absolutely no qualms with Google releasing (beta testing) its products on a platform it owns before porting to my platform.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Discosaurus[/nom]I haven't tried the application, but for as cool as it sounds, Google Goggles is the dumbest name conceivable.[/citation]

Agreed. If you already have a product called mail goggles aimed at drunk people, you shouldn't name something genuinely interesting "Goggles."

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I installed and messed around with it yesterday. IT doesn't work all that well. The coolest thing about it is you can take a picture of a business card and save all of someone's contact information on the card. I'm sure there's other stuff, but for the most part it doesn't work all that well. It also disables the flash on your phone. So 70% of the time I can't even use it due to low light.

rbarone69

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I agree with hillarymakesmecry (and not just on the political front). I have a droid phone with Android 2.0 and just installed this today after reading the article.

It's fun to play around with but it's just a toy to show off to friends right now. Scanned a V8 bottle and it picked up the Campbell logo. took about 30 seconds to scan and process.

Tried scanning random objects, sat there for minutes scanning with no response.

Tried it on a barcode but no luck. It could be the service is just getting hit hard, who knows.

Cool concept but that's about it.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]Discosaurus[/nom]I haven't tried the application, but for as cool as it sounds, Google Goggles is the dumbest name conceivable.[/citation]
When you're as big as Google, you can come up with some pretty horrible branding and still come out on top.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Agreed. If you already have a product called mail goggles aimed at drunk people, you shouldn't name something genuinely interesting "Goggles."[/citation]
I think the product is really called male goggles aimed at middle class white drunken college men.

Status
Not open for further replies.