Google is the Most Valuable Brand in the World

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]i say "Bing it"[/citation]
ha, ive been using bing for so long i say that too

past tense I just say "i looked it up" like I did when i used google

bto

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
after they launched android and started talking about an OS for PC, this was a given in my opinion, I'm more worried about them than Microsoft. Although it is good to see M$ bend over.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I'm not really sure there is that much value in the "Google" brand. "google.com" on the other hand sure has a high value.

G

i believe it is all to do with perception, it is the outwardly face of a company, Google is generally perceived in good light, it have eco value with it environmental pushes, it has ethical values with it stance against china, it has humanitarian value with it's help in japan, it has technological values with it's cloud platform, it basically means it's alot harder to justify not buying/using Google services and products then buying/using them

for a good example of how brand value affects a company look at Ford, their refusal to take a government handout has altered their perception as failing us automaker to that of a resilient, restructured automaker with forward thinking product lines that reflect the needs of future US auto consumers and made it the strongest perceived us auto brand

G

Having a valuable brand means you're reaching a wealthy demographic, and that that demographic trusts your brand name enough to buy your product without hesitation.

So there's a big difference between simply being well known, like Coca Cola, and having value. Yeah, everyone around the world knows coca cola or facebook, etc... but google can make a product, slap the name GOOGLE on it, and BAM, big money. THAT is what it means to have a valuable brand.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
value of the BRAND...
How does a brand get value? If it's not about wealth or income then who is claiming thier company logo is worth the most?

Kindof stupid if you ask me.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]value of the BRAND...How does a brand get value? If it's not about wealth or income then who is claiming thier company logo is worth the most? Kindof stupid if you ask me.[/citation]

Consider two companies, who both bring out an identical email system. One is called Google Mail. The other is called Space Lion Super Mail. Everything else being equal, the former will massively outsell the latter. This is due to a combination of intangibles such as brand awareness, brand perception, brand confidence etc, some of which are logical (for example Google as a company is probably less likely to collapse, and will be held to higher standards by the press), and some of which are illogical (for example the product may be seen as higher quality in this case because Google created it, even though in our hypothetical situation the product is identical).

Brand, therefore, is hugely important. There are no 'accepted' ways of measuring it, and nobody can ever prove the value of a brand, but it represents far more than just the 'company logo'. Any investor into any company on this scale will always try to ascertain the value of the brand - that is why there is an industry surrounding brand valuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.