Yeah.... sure you do.

Just like every iPhone 4 user has no antenna problems
Just like every Fermi owner has no heating problems
Just like person who bought an x3 can unlock it no problem

The internet... full of honesty.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]werxen[/nom]Yeah.... sure you do.Just like every iPhone 4 user has no antenna problemsJust like every Fermi owner has no heating problemsJust like person who bought an x3 can unlock it no problemThe internet... full of honesty.[/citation]

Once you accept that the Fermi cards run hot, it's not longer a "problem". Especially when you consider the heat does not actually cause performance issues.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
The Galaxy S phone's GPS works when you disable WiFi. The GPS only seems to lock when you have an active 3G connection. Other than this trick, there isn't any other problems. :p

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Sadly, I am using an HTC HD2 with Windows 6.5 .. any idea when these new features of google maps will make it to the windows platform, if ever? :(

G

"Once you accept that the Fermi cards run hot, it's not longer a problem"

Silicon devices anneal with heat which causes loss of functionality. I had an hp laptop that suffered this way all dur to a poor design - intermittent wifi then no wifi then no boot! Heat can also damage bond wires and reduce the overall reliability of the chips in many ways.

SMC - Spacecraft equipment design engineer

andrewbt

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
@werxen do you have a Galaxy S? i have one with Motonav installed and 2010 iGO maps,works great and no internet connection needed,maybe other people just don't know how to install it...

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
3D is actually only available in select cities, I couldn't get the circular motion to rotate the map to work, and there's still a big grey bar at the top of the map view that takes up valuable space on a smaller 3.7" screen. I still prefer the older versions of Google Maps. If I want 3D, I can always launch Google Earth.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Google is also adding an offline mode that will see the application cache large areas of places you frequent most often on your phone.

Wouldn't this be the exact opposite of when one would require a map and guidance the most?
I would find it much more productive if it would constantly update your surroundings by a wide area and if by any chance your service suddenly drops you can still find your way around
without fear of becoming lost.

This means when you're stumbling home from the office holiday party on foot because someone took your keys away,

A personal insight into the life of Jane? Well at-least she knows how to have a good time.

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
This means when you're stumbling home from the office holiday party on foot because someone took your keys away, you can pull up the map of your neighborhood and find your way home

Why would you need a map of "your" neighborhood to find your way home... I'm pretty familiar with mine. I don't need my keys to find my way to my own home.

goldeknob

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
My GPS works also in my Captivate with 2.1.1, as long as I have a clear view of the sky. Still wish I had 2.2 or get a update to 2.3, (prays to the phone gods)

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
A little late to this Google? I've had CoPilot Live for a few years, their entire 2 gb of maps is on my SD card, the entire system works offline

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I just bought a new My Touch 4G to replace my G1. Downloaded the new maps app to the phone. I was very impressed with the new turn-by-turn directions. I remember how inadequate they were with the older Google Maps that came with the G1 (basically worthless). The new Maps may make me rethink my idea about needing a stand-alone GPS, especially if it has offline capabilities (the one major deterrent to Google Maps on my phone so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.