Google Maps Error Blamed for Costa Rica Invasion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OMG I can't believe no one has mention mapquest.com. I've used them for 10 years now and are way more precise than bing or google. I tried to use bing maps a few months ago for directions (Bing & Google both had the exact same directions) and also mapquest. Thank goodness I had the mapquest. Bing had left off connecting hwys, included extra hwys and intersections that didn't exist and were all screwed up.

And ya'll have fun getting you a new country. LOL!

G

What am I reading?

Costa Rica is not the only country which does not have a military.

Neither Sweden, Panama, the Vatican or Japan have one.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
LOL sounds like the 2002 march invasion of Zimbabwe where the GPS system error led too Afghanistan / Iraq invasion and USA too embarrassment to correct the mistake 9 years later.

No wonder they had to pull back the ships to Cyprus for 6 weeks and the "rescue boat female millionaires" that came from that $120 per pop situation.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
are you telling me that the government of that country does not have their own GPS and maps to confirm their borders? lame

G

googlemaps netherland will offer a concrete plan about invasion and (ger Deiche) existing water barriers

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Crazy... This is like something straight from a Terry Pratchet novel! Funny and entertaining in a way, but the Costa Ricans are obviously peace loving people if they do not even have a military. It is very wrong for the Nicaraguan army to be doing this. I mean it's seriously uncool.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]Your telling me a countries military relies on google maps for navigation? WTF! Whatever next coalition forces using Tom Toms to navigate in Afghanistan. lol[/citation]

Well, GPS was invented by the US military...

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]dillyflump[/nom]Your telling me a countries military relies on google maps for navigation? WTF! Whatever next coalition forces using Tom Toms to navigate in Afghanistan. lol[/citation]

Actually Tom Tom's would be a step up from the crappy navigation systems we have. Was a Navigation Electronics Technician on a submarine, and the navigation program was absolute shit. We always joked with the newbies when we explained to them what it was, "Oh so it's like a TomTom?" Us: "No, it wishes it was a TomTom."

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]Well, GPS was invented by the US military...[/citation]

The US provides GPS to the entire world for free. Only thing you need is a receiver.

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
but japan has the JSDF and a couple US military bases. ever heard of Okinawa? with costa rica its a bit different. they actually do have a ministry of public security but its nowhere near the level of a standing army. they SHOULD in theory be able to at least counter a lame attempt at an invasion like this one...what a weak argument. that nicaraguan general really expects to go to international court saying he invaded another country because of google maps?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Presumably, if Costa Rica seriously had its territory compromised it would go to the UN and get a security council mandate like Kuwait did in 1990. Then it would either get the US (who has been loath to put forces under UN command) to kick out the invaders or blue helmets (UN forces) who will politely ask them to leave.

thlillyr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
wait the troops took down the flag and put up their own? Hold on a sec in the whole group of people nobody stoped to ask why there was the other countrys flag flying? This spells fail on so many levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.