Google Maps for Android Gets Indoor Walking Directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I guess it's cool until you lose GPS inside the building. At least you'll have a map, but won't know exactly where you are.

Although, malls and most other large buildings have maps so, what's the point?

Sacr

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
It won't be necessary to steal a blueprint to rob a facility anymore.

That aside, I think it could be a useful tool if it becomes widely available. I work in a military facility and I assume my building layout will never be available on Google Maps but for a first timer entering this place, it's a total maze.

The feature could be useful for some buildings but who's gonna need inside maps to navigate a Burger King?

G

Google maps for andriod 10.0.1 > will show your route through life at birth (based on predictions deducted by your parents' saved data on google's servers.) incl., most importantly, automatically pre-order of all products you will ever need so you'll never have to think again and can focus on being a corporate slave.
/nosarcasme

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
With project glass this would be pretty cool. I know it would make things really easy walking through a new mall wondering where a particular store is.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Google and others are really cashing in on peoples laziness through convienience. I could see this being a useful tool for the blind if it had audio, but otherwise its only functionality is a tool for laziness. If you can't find your way inside a large commercial bldg. you should ask for directions or complain to whoever is running it to get better signage.

rohantheneo

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Why cant we ask other PEOPLE for direction when we are FREAKING INSIDE the building? Why is technology always goes to make humans more distinct to each other?

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Not everyone enjoys talking to random people. If you can get directions yourself, why bother someone else? Isn't technology to MAKE things easier?

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]Not everyone enjoys talking to random people. If you can get directions yourself, why bother someone else? Isn't technology to MAKE things easier?[/citation]

If you're too insecure to ask for directions/or too bothered to be asked, you may need counseling for your social issues. My issue is that convienience has the tendency to make us lazy. Why do I have to remember anything if I can just google it is how kids are growing up.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]bigdog44[/nom]If you're too insecure to ask for directions/or too bothered to be asked, you may need counseling for your social issues. My issue is that convienience has the tendency to make us lazy. Why do I have to remember anything if I can just google it is how kids are growing up.[/citation]
Did I say I had a problem talking to others?
Someone preferring to not bother others with something they could solve themselves, if given the chance, does not mean they need counseling.
As for being lazy, if people had such a problem with convenience, we shouldn't drive cars. We should all walk to work as we are being lazy. -_- If you need to contact someone, don't call and be lazy, go walk a few miles to where they MIGHT be, assuming they are home, and ask them. Yes some things go too far, like having a robot maid to clean for you, it frees up time for you which is good, but if you aren't being productive with your new found time, you are being lazy by your logic. Point is, convenience does not always amount to being lazy, they provide you with a quicker easier way to get on with your life, whether that be having fun, working, or otherwise. That is all I'm trying to say. tl;dr convenience =/= laziness.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]Did I say I had a problem talking to others?Someone preferring to not bother others with something they could solve themselves, if given the chance, does not mean they need counseling.As for being lazy, if people had such a problem with convenience, we shouldn't drive cars. We should all walk to work as we are being lazy. -_- If you need to contact someone, don't call and be lazy, go walk a few miles to where they MIGHT be, assuming they are home, and ask them. Yes some things go too far, like having a robot maid to clean for you, it frees up time for you which is good, but if you aren't being productive with your new found time, you are being lazy by your logic. Point is, convenience does not always amount to being lazy, they provide you with a quicker easier way to get on with your life, whether that be having fun, working, or otherwise. That is all I'm trying to say. tl;dr convenience =/= laziness.[/citation]

Please don't take offense, as my post wasn't directed at you, but people in general, including myself. My point is that when we use things for convenience instead of as tools we become lazy. In my 1st post I gave the example of the bldg. manager who needed to be informed abt. improper signage because that is his job to make sure a customer knows how to get to a business inside his bldg. Another example is how most people use facebook. It's supposed to be a means to stay connected and send important updates, but ALOT of people use it to escape face-to-face contact, create fake personas, send irrelevant trivial "updates". There are many other examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.