Google Maps Gets Virtual Reality Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitman400

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
If all you need is your android phone and some cardboard VR headset, then I'm sorry, it is basically like looking at your phone with gyro on, which has already been done in an app called Tourist and countless others and instead of moving your head, you move your body.

ahaywood

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
If all you need is your android phone and some cardboard VR headset, then I'm sorry, it is basically like looking at your phone with gyro on, which has already been done in an app called Tourist and countless others and instead of moving your head, you move your body.

With one key difference, the split view to turn it into 3D, and it also fills in much more of your field of view, and is designed this way to provide a more immersive experience.

Maikalq

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
Yeah ?! And do someone care ? Google maps is not anymore The Thing it were once before. The highest quality and performance Flash Maps API is missing, the REST API is like "kill me twice" for the developers, and overall HTML5 sux to the core. Well. I am switched to Here.com Maps API - the best free API out there.

emanuensis

Estimable
Dec 19, 2014
It is just stereo data. People have been free viewing this data since the invention of photography. Eg i did a graphical rendering ~stereoSY. The data would be wonderful to have, and if on every cellphone it can be used w/o carrying around any bulky "cardboard VR"

--~
http://i.tgu.ca/stereoSY

Status
Not open for further replies.