News Google Maps vs. Apple Maps: Which navigation app is best?

Yazzoo7

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2017
Has anyone else noticed how poor the Google Maps graphics on Android Auto are compared to the Google Maps graphics on Apple CarPlay? For example, the search box in "Auto" is always visible which causes your vehicle travel to always be displayed significantly off-center. The result is seeing more of the traffic history from where you already passed instead of where you are headed. Also, the traffic flow definitions (green, amber, and red) in Auto are much thinner than in CarPlay and not as easy to see. For these reasons, I purchased a used, non-activated iPhone 6S, pair it with my Galaxy S9+ hotspot and use Google Maps in CarPlay for my navigating needs.

Apr 4, 2021
I prefer Google just because you can skip to the next steps/turns. I like seeing beforehand the street where I should be turning, etc, with a map of it (not just a list).

Apr 4, 2021
I'm now using Apple maps because I prefer a few of the navigation features not available with Waze or Google, like "turn left at the next stop sign,." Also I appreciate more warning for the next step, e.g. after a turn, " in 1 mile turn right at the traffic light"

There are some Google advantages, such as better lane markings.

I use all three depending on the situation.

Apr 4, 2021
As a long haul Truck Driver, I use both.
Google maps navigation has a more realistic E.T.A.
Apple maps navigation has a persistent dedicated distance to go feature.
If Apple maps could dial down their E.T.A., I believe it would increase highway safety.

Feb 16, 2023
Apple Maps also has an "Arrive By" feature now built in.

I think one area Apple Maps could improve is discoverability. Also, I would like the see offline map support. One thing that did impress me with Apple Maps is walking directions. Both have walking directions, but I live in a rural area and Apple Maps suggested the public footpath, Google Maps takes you a 15 min detour by road. You can't actually see the path on the Apple Maps interface (you'll need something else for that like Ordnance Survey, but at least it knows there is a path. Apple Maps is still very limited with cycling directions though and only works in a few major cities right now, whereas Google Maps works everywhere. I can't speak for using either for public transport.

I do like that on Google Maps you can drag different routes out with the web app with a mouse, but while you can send the route to your phone (you can send route to phone on Apple Maps as well) it won't send the custom route you dragged out.

It is interesting to see both apps getting EV support now as well, which will be useful for those with non-Tesla EVs to help plan journeys with charging stops, because the built-in car nav either doesn't have this built in or it is bad.

Feb 28, 2023
Just upgraded.
+ Does now do multi stop route, including the total time AND distance, which Google refuses to provide on Apple app platform.
- Once you start navigating, you cannot go back and Edit the route to change, add or remove a stop, instead you get a blank editor and have to start again.
Apple Map very hard to share and only a single stop journey.
Also saving routes is not provided to recall later., Google is great at this.