Google May Nuke Custom UIs in Android 3.0

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
The title had me worried but it doesn't sound like Google is trying to get rid of add-on layers. It makes sense for Google to improve the base user experience which will reduce the attraction of some of those UI enhancements.

G

Google is not nuking anything... This headline is totally misleading.

Google's strategy is and always has been to provide a good mobile platform that anyone can use however they want. Early versions of Android were a bit simplistic and lacking polish, which is why HTC et al felt the need to put on their own customizations. But as Google improves Android, there is less need for that. But customization is still allowed. Android is open source.

And whoever said Google may try to buy HTC so it can control Android hardware: they won't and they can't. Android is open source and that can't be reversed. Google would be thrilled if Android became "Windows-ized". (90%+ market share?) Unlike Microsoft, Google doesn't sell the platform. They make money on ads. Google just wants to get as many people doing as much web browsing in as many places as possible. They're not trying to beat the iPhone. They're trying to beat dumb phone and lesser smart phones that have lousy web browsers.

G

Wow, a lot of you commenters sure like to spew out useless crap rather than check a fact or two. This articles title is correct as its questioning something no one knows, so who can say if its correct or not. Google MAY nuke custom UIs. The iPhone is mentioned because its androids main competitor. Would you say someone is a Chevy fanboy because he compared it to a new model Ford? This is the way business and competition work people. There isn't going to end up being just one phone maker, os maker or carrier. As its always been, there will be multiple companies always offering the same or similar product because that drives competition and innovation and is better for the consumer.

Bottom line is Google is still figuring all this out, but they've done a hell of a job giving consumers a choice of a very capable mobile platform in a short period of time. I'm sure there will be more things Google does that essentially mimmicks Apple, but no one ever said the iPhone idea was bad, ATT and Steve Jobs are the ones that have hurt the image with poor service and immature outbursts. The physical device is great and created the market to allow android devices to even be developed.

G

go google!

Anything that will spead up the process of Android users getting updates is a good thing.

I don't mind custom UI's but they should be superficial and be so deep rooted that they have to be rewritten for every version of android.

UI's should be able to be added and removed without effecting the android OS itself.

G

Actually I'm not really sure the rumor google locking handsets thru v3.0 gingerbread, this could just be a HEADLine stealer to get the attention of readers around the world or somewhat a diversion for others to forget some incoming new gadget(s). I believe Google wont do such thing for the sake of GNU license that comes with its OS base.

Status
Not open for further replies.