Google Opens Classroom to All

Status
Not open for further replies.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
While this is interesting, it still shows the limitations of distance learning for certain subjects. Case in point, Chemistry requires a physical, hands-on laboratory experience along with Physics, Biology, and Earth Science. Also Foreign Language proficiency requires demonstrating speaking competency and Physical Education...well you get the idea.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
While this is interesting, it still shows the limitations of distance learning for certain subjects. Case in point, Chemistry requires a physical, hands-on laboratory experience along with Physics, Biology, and Earth Science. Also Foreign Language proficiency requires demonstrating speaking competency and Physical Education...well you get the idea.

Well of course, but read the article more closely. They know that it's pointless to try to replace class time with online schooling... so they aren't.

What they're doing is going after programs like Blackboard, WebCampus, and TurnItIn by trying to provide a free, all-in-one solution for managing homework and assignments so that teachers don't have to deal with multiple formats and ways of the students not turning their homework in properly.

Wonderful idea, my only concern is that google drive is not the best when it comes to specialized formatting - doing things like formal citations might be a bit painful.

Steve Simons

Estimable
May 31, 2014
Should work well with ipads and chromebooks. I'll hopefully get to check it out soon as the next semester starts in just a couple weeks. We are issuing an ipad to every student starting in October. Just got my district ipad today.

Status
Not open for further replies.