Google Patents Targeted Advertising in Phone Calls

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Chill out guys. That patent is for an advertisement program for Google Voice. No one is gonna put ads in your regular phone/cell phone calls. Google Voice is a free service, so it's a good way for them to keep the service free.[/citation]
Death by a thousand cuts matey, it starts as this, then adds something else, then it's advert breaks in the middle of your phone call.

1984 didn't happen overnight, it happened when the population allowed shit like this to happen over decades in excruciating increments so small that they didn't know how they got there.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The difference here is that we are not only letting this happen, we actually "want" this. No, we don't want the ads or the invasion of privacy, but we want the service and, more often than not, we want it for free. The drawback is that to have all this, we need to pay with either ads or with our personal info being traded left and right. I guess for most people it's a small price to pay since the model is gaining in popularity. Should we be scared? Maybe.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Sadly ads are necessary. Imagine if you had to draw your credit card from its holster to pay for a subscription each time you wanted to access a site. Or pay MUCH more for watching TV or reading magazines. I hate ads religiously but I know the benefits of it.

But this would be going too far. I doubt that this would be allowed here in Europe but you never know ...

ps2doctor

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
You want to make it illegal for a company to put ads on something they don't charge you for? I'll let you think about that while you flip on the TV and watch the local channels.
If you don't like the ads, don't use the service!! Come on!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ps2doctor[/nom]You want to make it illegal for a company to put ads on something they don't charge you for? I'll let you think about that while you flip on the TV and watch the local channels.If you don't like the ads, don't use the service!! Come on!![/citation]
Unfortunately Google is a bit like a crack dealer
They give you a free sample, you like it, then you are hooked
Before you know it you will do anything to get another hit
Even if it means bending over and taking one up the Schmidter

ankhnext

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Near future, you could buy Android Pro.
Or, use android free to listen ads.

GOOGLE..... What's going on?
Maybe the new google's doodle will have a TROLL face.

Status
Not open for further replies.