Google Pixel 3 Rumors: Everything You Need to Know

Feb 21, 2018
Essential phone had a notch, iPhone had it, and others will probably have one in some form as manufacturers make more drastic moves to edge-to-edge screens. That's why google is putting allowances for it in the OS. I don't see them releasing a notched pixel

Mbowen84

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
I hate that ugly notch, really hope phones don't start including it.. Maybe sensors can start hiding in the screen like the fingerprint sensor? would be great!

Feb 26, 2018
Google Nexus and pixel have never had home buttons why would you say they will not Implement a home button because there will not be room... they have never had it

mocsabkcid

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why the Notch is necessary - it's no different than designating some screen space at the top like samsung has done - adding active screen to either side of the area where the sensors are is what causes the notch appearance - what is the benefit to adding those active areas on either side of the notch? It really doesn't add anything to the viewing experience and only makes it look like something is blocked by the notch. Hopefully Google won't go in that direction. It's ugly and does nothing for the appearance or the user experience.

IRJ8

Commendable
Jun 5, 2016
Google has a problem releasing phones each October. Qualcomm recently has announced the next chipset within a month of each new Google phone going on sale. Meaning Google buyers get near last years hardware on each new phone. If Google wants to ask a premium price they need to beat or at least match Samsung's rollout and forget about Apple.

Apr 5, 2018
good sound - tick
good/excellent pictures - tick
good/excellent screen - tick
edge-to-edge left/right screen - tick
notch - no sale - stupidest thing ever!

Apr 25, 2018
Wow, so many hate the notch. I would like the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 implementation for sensors but people then complain the selfie camera is poorly placed at the bottom. If you have a notch then people who never have used a phone with a notch hate it. Change is always a problem for some and they fear it and will do things like using Windows phone in 2018 and beyond when it is clear that for now MS has abandoned the platform.

I have had the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 and recently got the Essential phone. I kept the Essential phone even with the notch and 2 gigs less ram. I do agree that the notch can be a little off putting aesthetically but really all phones have a notification bar at the top that essentially cuts the screen off. So when in normal use you don't even notice the notch. The only time it is an issue is when watching media content and that area of potential screen real estate is blacked out.

I got the Essential phone at a good discount and now that the software bugs have been worked out it is a wonderful device. While some may argue against the notch the smaller footprint and larger screen more than make up for it. I am content to wait and see what Essential does next and will be considering a Pixel 3 as well. My only issue with the Pixel line of phones vs. say the Nexus line which I really loved is value. The Pixel phones are very nice but don't offer much in terms of value and I really think the whole XL and regular size thing is just a way to upsell. Samsung figured out they could charge more by just making the screen bigger and it has been a money maker ever since. I really like that Essential PH-1 is only one size so no upsizing in prices but you still get the large screen experience in a phone that is significantly smaller than most traditional 5.5" screen smart phones.

Like it or hate it you either have the notch or bottom chin selfie cam. The notch on the Essential phone is pretty small and if they could use the custom selfie camera that is smaller in size used on the Mi Mix 2 and 2s then they could further reduce the notch size which is what I hope they do. Immersive screens are here to stay and once you own one it isn't that bad!

utomo88

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Google please do not use Snapdragon 845, it already use by other brand for few months.
what other things Pixel 3 superior compared to competitor ?

Hammy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Phone aficionados, why does everything I see about the Pixel 3 rave about it having a notch? That seems like the least significant thing on a phone.

Wait, a four notification maximum? I much prefer my 10 - 30 notifications, thank you.

It *MIGHT* have wireless charging? The Nexus 6 did. Every newer phone should get better, not worse.

Front-facing speakers? I thought every phone had front-facing speakers.

Does the damn thing come with a battery worth a crap?

Let me guess, it has a clock app.

Seriously, tech journalism gets worse and worse...

Aug 8, 2018
Wasn't the notch for the handset ear speaker where you would place it to your ear. Otherwise you would have it on handsfree and broadcasting your business to the world, which I still don't understand why people think I want to know who you did last night.

Aug 8, 2018
I think most mfr's found that if they didn't have a notch it was sort of hard to hear through a solid screen and if you have a hole in the screen then you have a notch anyway so why not make it a standard and move along to something that will really make a difference.

Sep 4, 2018
I have never understood all the fuss around the notch or no notch. At the end of the day you have 2 choices. Put a solid bezel all the way across the top, or have a notch. So some manufacturers have gone one way and some the other.

The notch does give you small screen areas to each side that can be used for indicators of one type or another so some manufacturers went that way. Others have gone with a much bigger bezel and no notch.

I have no doubt that if Apple had gone with the larger consistent bezel they would have been slammed for that too. I personally don't mind either approach, they both have advantages and disadvantages.

webgtlnbrgrs

Great
Jun 7, 2018
No notch on the OnePlus 6T … Apple can't even do a damn finger print recognition.... All Apple does is make it bigger and a millionth of a second faster.... I'm trading my iPhone 7plus, maybe Apple will do something other than Hype Nano Seconds faster...… Ohh and Apple holds the record for costing the most …