Review Google Pixel 4a review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2020
There is no way any of these phones can compare to HUAWEI P30 Pro on zoom (50X) , battery (3 days) , night vision, looks. Used to own the 2XL.

blackbird1001

Commendable
Aug 5, 2018
There is no way any of these phones can compare to HUAWEI P30 Pro on zoom (50X) , battery (3 days) , night vision, looks. Used to own the 2XL.
Besides costing double price the HUAWEI P30 Pro only delivering half. -The software is very bad.

It lacks access to Google Play, and direct access to Gmail and Map can also be the thing that takes the whole life of Huawei Mobile Phone out af China. You must, if nothing else, be much cheaper before anyone will consider them

During the 2 years I have owned one.
Then it's gone from reasonable to some real shit.
Will both own you and all your data, and decide that you should use their own shitty versions of software.
(google wants that too. But you do not have to sell both body and soul to buy a phone.)

In the beginning, one could easily root one a Huawei, but it has become very cumbersome.
With the approach now has, then it is necessary to have a phone that one bothers to have.
Other phones are no better., there for I look at a oneplus or google ,as it is the most pure version of Android.

If Huawei, will have just the slightest chance of survival.
Then they have to open up their phones as well as remove their poor versions of software.

A direct opportunity for FOSS software will make them the winner for many.

---

Just waiting a few months and see what happens with price. But think camera is to decide my choice.
A Oneplus 8 Pro will then be the best choice, but I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE SO MUCH MONEY FOR A PHONE that only lasts 2-4 years

So OnePlus Nord or Googe 4a for me.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020
Apple fanboy. Using the iPad iPhone 11 Pro. Wanted to experience android. After reading this review I figured this was an inexpensive way to experiment . Trading in an old iPhone 7 from my phone history drawer got me this phone for a couple hundred bucks. I can try it until the pixel 5 comes out and then if I really like the android system I can trade it in… Everyone posted some valid points.. Obviously I will miss the wide-angle lens… But I’m looking forward to using all the Google goodies Google assistant makes Siri look like an infant…

ej1

Estimable
Apr 30, 2020
The Pixel 4a is the perfect phone for the perfect price.

Google Pixel 4a review : Read more

Thanks for the prompt review, Mr. Ismail. However, I am truly surprised by the battery life data. How could it be that bad? And worse than the iPhone SE??

Other outlets are reporting that the 4a battery life is better than iPhone SE. It is so tough to get a consensus on battery life.

Has your battery life testing changed at all in ANY way since you did the battery testing for the Pixel 3a? (You guys have always been correct to standardize brightness.)

Was adaptive battery enabled or disabled?

Is the 4a's chip or screen more power hungry than 3a's?

Is Android 10 somehow more power hungry than Android 9??

Anyway if the 4a battery life is really this bad, I must be consistent with my earlier complaint regarding the iPhone SE review ie a phone with such a bad battery life does not deserve a 4.5/5 score.

Of course different people value different things in a phone, but data has shown that people value camera and battery the most; therefore, if a phone does not nail the camera and battery life, even a 4/5 score seems too high.

adam.ismail

Staff Writer
Oct 17, 2018
Thanks for the prompt review, Mr. Ismail. However, I am truly surprised by the battery life data. How could it be that bad? And worse than the iPhone SE??

Other outlets are reporting that the 4a battery life is better than iPhone SE. It is so tough to get a consensus on battery life.

Has your battery life testing changed at all in ANY way since you did the battery testing for the Pixel 3a? (You guys have always been correct to standardize brightness.)

Was adaptive battery enabled or disabled?

Is the 4a's chip or screen more power hungry than 3a's?

Is Android 10 somehow more power hungry than Android 9??

Anyway if the 4a battery life is really this bad, I must be consistent with my earlier complaint regarding the iPhone SE review ie a phone with such a bad battery life does not deserve a 4.5/5 score.

Of course different people value different things in a phone, but data has shown that people value camera and battery the most; therefore, if a phone does not nail the camera and battery life, even a 4/5 score seems too high.

Thanks for reading! The battery life is a bit disappointing, yes. Although our battery test has always been the same in concept — web pages loaded over LTE/sub-6GHz 5G at 150 nits of screen brightness — the list of sites the test rotates through changed before the end of last year. The sites used to be stored locally on a server, and the page loads were less demanding. We since changed to simply using a list of live sites on the world wide web so it more accurately reflects the demands on modern devices.

Adaptive battery was enabled, and there's no reason to think Android 10 is less efficient than Android 9, or that the Snapdragon 730G is less efficient than the 670 in the Pixel 3a. The iPhone SE does have a much smaller battery, though iOS has always been a bit better than Android in terms of managing resources in the background. The SE also has a much smaller LCD-powered screen, and a third of the RAM of the Pixel 4a, which all helps longevity on a charge.

I understand the opinion on the score based on battery and that's totally fair. In my personal opinion, the 9-hour mark in our test is more mediocre than awful. 10 is good, and anything that stretches beyond 11 is very good. Personally I'd recommend the Pixel 4a to the average buyer, though if that person was particularly concerned about battery life, at that point I'd direct them toward another device. Maybe the Moto G Power, which is cheaper and lasted more than 15 hours, or the OnePlus Nord if they can get one. Unfortunately, great battery life, camera and performance all at this price is tough to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.