News Google Pixel 6 battery life tested — we have bad news

Oct 26, 2021
There are plenty of reasons the 5G radio might run for long periods, like listening to music while on the go. Seems like this is a big problem, but many people will just turn off 5G as there just doesn't seem much point right now.

Oct 26, 2021
"Other phones tend to reach that nit level at around 50% brightness, but we wanted to keep the comparisons fair."

Raising the brightness level to 77% send innocent enough, but the iPhones have lower resolution screens. You ended up not making it fair in that the phones with higher resolutions are doing more work at a brightness level that is not their respective 50%.

Oct 27, 2021
Take this with a grain of salt. Considering phonearena.com lists completely different results for what appears to be a similar test.

They say:
iPhone 13 Pro max gets 18 hour 52 mins at 120hz web browsing.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra gets 14h 43 mins at 120hz web browsing.

Tomsguide says:

iPhone 13 Pro max gets 12 hour 16 mins at UNKNOWN hz web browsing.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra gets 11h 25 mins at UNKNOWN hz web browsing.

This is a massive discrepancy across the board. So /shrug.

varase

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
The Google Tensor SoC (built by Samsung) contains two Cortex-X1 cores - and I believe the general consensus is to only include one of these cores in a SoC due to their power requirements.

As a consequence, the Snapdragon 888 only contains a single Cortex-X1 in a three level pyramid of cores.

As I recall, the Cortex-X1 at 5nm ran pretty much neck-and-neck with Apple's A13 high performance Lightning cores at 7nm (used in the iPhone 11), with Lightning being overall a bit faster and Cortex-X1's floating point taking the lead.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15875/apple-lays-out-plans-to-transition-macs-from-x86-to-apple-socs

I believe when Google announced they were "building their own chips" that what really meant is Google designed an NPU and seconded Samsung as their silicon proxy and told Samsung to put two Cortex-X1s in their SoC - despite any warnings Samsung may have given - in an attempt to beat Apple at their own game.

All these companies saying they're "building their own chips" despite having no expertise in silicon design are just cousin' for a bruisin' - like Microsoft using their silicon proxy Qualcomm, and ironically Qualcomm attempting the same through their silicon proxy the recently acquired Nuvia (composed of ex-Apple silicon engineers).

Qualcomm's expertise is picking standard ARM cores and putting them in a SoC with a few cache line changes - I don't recall if they've ever designed their own cores. That's why they acquired Nuvia, hoping to drain some of Apple's brain.

And so ... the Pixel 6 may simply be suffering from Google's hubris in "making their own" Tensor SoC.

Oct 27, 2021
The Google Tensor SoC (built by Samsung) contains two Cortex-X1 cores - and I believe the general consensus is to only include one of these cores in a SoC due to their power requirements.

As a consequence, the Snapdragon 888 only contains a single Cortex-X1 in a three level pyramid of cores.

As I recall, the Cortex-X1 at 5nm ran pretty much neck-and-neck with Apple's A13 high performance Lightning cores at 7nm (used in the iPhone 11), with Lightning being overall a bit faster and Cortex-X1's floating point taking the lead.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15875/apple-lays-out-plans-to-transition-macs-from-x86-to-apple-socs

I believe when Google announced they were "building their own chips" that what really meant is Google designed an NPU and seconded Samsung as their silicon proxy and told Samsung to put two Cortex-X1s in their SoC - despite any warnings Samsung may have given - in an attempt to beat Apple at their own game.

All these companies saying they're "building their own chips" despite having no expertise in silicon design are just cousin' for a bruisin' - like Microsoft using their silicon proxy Qualcomm, and ironically Qualcomm attempting the same through their silicon proxy the recently acquired Nuvia (composed of ex-Apple silicon engineers).

Qualcomm's expertise is picking standard ARM cores and putting them in a SoC with a few cache line changes - I don't recall if they've ever designed their own cores. That's why they acquired Nuvia, hoping to drain some of Apple's brain.

And so ... the Pixel 6 may simply be suffering from Google's hubris in "making their own" Tensor SoC.
Interesting points. I'm not sure if Google said they "made" this, or if they "designed" it and are claiming it as their own (the latter is fair to say in my opinion).