News Google Pixel phones just got an upgrade the iPhone can’t match

Dec 8, 2022
This is completely wrong. My iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 16.1 does this just fine. Turn on Airplane mode while Wi-Fi is connected and the Wi-Fi stays on and connected just fine. My old Windows Phone worked just as well a decade ago, and every Android phone I owned for years after you could do the same with ADB commands to tell it which radios to leave on by default.

Reactions: mark_887797
Dec 9, 2022
Google needs to go further. Currently GPS is turned off if you turn off carrier services at least on Verizon. When I am hiking or fishing the backcountry, I need GPS but don't need to burn battery trying to connect to my carrier. This feels like a big deal to me and limits my ability to safety use my phone for navigation .

pyronaut

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
Man, what a click bait title. It's not like the iPhone "can't" do this, it's just designed differently. If that's your standard then there's plenty of features Android has that the iPhone "can't" match.

Dec 9, 2022
Wow. What happened to Tom’s guide? This article is uninformed, factually inaccurate, and completely ridiculous! What editor approved this garbage?

Reactions: mark_887797

mark_887797

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
This is serious clickbait and false. It belongs on YouTube and TikTok.
Airplane mode and wifi have always remained on after enabling wifi in airplane mode, going all the way back to Android Gingerbread.

Besides, I've had nothing but issues with my new Pixel 7 Pro since I got it a few days ago. It's now going back as soon as I move my eSIM over to my iPhone which is temporarily blocked by my mobile provider due to security issues.

mark_887797

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
Google needs to go further. Currently GPS is turned off if you turn off carrier services at least on Verizon. When I am hiking or fishing the backcountry, I need GPS but don't need to burn battery trying to connect to my carrier. This feels like a big deal to me and limits my ability to safety use my phone for navigation .
Google needs to do many things.

For starters, on Android devices it needs to stop leaking your actual location even when using a VPN and disabling location services. Some applications like WeChat and more can detect your actual location even with Android GPS spoofing software. Ironically, Google Maps location can be spoofed, but not Google seems to have forgotten about leaks on other apps.

The other thing Google needs to do is bring back customizing your home screen by alphabetical order.

The other thing Google needs to do is increase the storage capacity (for free) for Drive.

Google needs to fix Google Photos and allow us to search for a folder when moving a pic so the folders are shown in alphabetical order (like the desktop version).

Google needs to do a lot of things, but in fact are running their OS, devices, and products/services like it's a small time mom and pop operation.
Google needs to fix Google Photos to detect and remove duplicate photos.

There are many, many,more things Google needs to do, but won't because their "closed community" think it's not important.

Anyway, if I would buy an Android device today, it'll be a Samsung. But I won't. I'll have to lube up and pay the extra for an iPhone because it "just works".

mark_887797

Honorable
Sep 22, 2017
Wow. What happened to Tom’s guide? This article is uninformed, factually inaccurate, and completely ridiculous! What editor approved this garbage?
Probably the same editor who's dancing like a monkey on TikTok trying to get likes, followers, and spreading misinformation about health conditions/diseases. The worst part, it's working. People are so gullible these days.

Dec 10, 2022
Garbage article. « IPhone can’t match it… unless you go to control center and activate it once, then it stays on and totally matches » you’re a shame of a clickbait author

Dec 10, 2022
You've always been able to turn on Wi-Fi while in airplane mode. I would actually rather my phone not automatically leave Wi-Fi on when I hit airplane mode if I go into airplane mode it's because I want all of the radios turned off. Then if I want to turn something back on like Wi-Fi I have the option. This is a step in the wrong direction which looks like a Google is just trying to stay connected to the internet more often even when the user tries to turn itself off. This is coming from someone on a pixel 7 Pro.

Mar 7, 2022
I've been doing this for years..??? Click airplane mode, then click network/Internet button. Great for gaming uninterrupted. Not new.

Dec 10, 2022
What in the world are you even talking about? I am running iOS 16 right now and can hit the airplane mode button without it dropping Wi-Fi. In fact I am writing this reply with airplane mode on and I did not have to go turn Wi-Fi back on. You all really need to do some research before posting crap like this.

Dec 10, 2022
Lol! A little dramatic there. Requires a trip to the control center? Airplane mode and the Wi-Fi toggle are both in the control center. As soon as you turn on airplane mode a quick tap will toggle on Wi-Fi. Not a big deal. Very little effort required

Dec 10, 2022
LOL This isn't some groundbreaking feature. Even my old LG G8 allowed wifi on airplane mode. This has been going on for YEARS on Android phones.

-John-

Prominent
Dec 11, 2022
I wonder if it is just my misunderstanding or everyone who says this article is garbage is misunderstanding the point of it. The author says that Wi-Fi will remain connected to the preferred network after turning on Airplane mode. It has always remained available, but it disconnects and you need to reconnect to your network. Hence, "accessing Wi-Fi requires a trip to your device's Control Center". Or at least that is the behavior of my smartphones (Android 12 and Android 6, Xiaomi and Huawei). And while still mainly useless, since true innovation in smartphones died with Android 8, it's still an improvement. And I don't know about iOS, but Android will always be far, far ahead of Apple. One feature more or less doesn't change the whole picture.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
This is completely wrong. My iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 16.1 does this just fine. Turn on Airplane mode while Wi-Fi is connected and the Wi-Fi stays on and connected just fine. My old Windows Phone worked just as well a decade ago, and every Android phone I owned for years after you could do the same with ADB commands to tell it which radios to leave on by default.