Google Receives Several Patents For Google Glasses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Wow! All of these patents sound to me pointless, stupid and in Apple's style.
As if none of these was ever done before.
I don't blame google... but these patents are still ridiculous. I bet Star Trek should seek to invalidate them :)

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I don't know about anyone else, but I am massively relieved that Google was able to get these patents before Apple.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
This seems like a case of correct patenting. If you ask people several years ago, the idea of computing glasses with augmented reality would not be intuitive or considered prior art. Additionally, they are building the device and not just sitting on the patents or trolling people with them. They just want to protect themselves from blatant copy cats.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
[citation][nom]igot1forya[/nom]Toms your comment section suck... your URL button leaves much to be desired.Prior Art - http://www.trekcc.org/2e/wotc/hud.jpg < this was supposed to be in the quotes.[/citation]

Haha, the thing is, I completely agree that the "idea" of augmented reality glasses comes from science fiction and probably shouldn't be patented (unless star trek patented them).

However, Google here is mostly patenting the technology behind building such a device, not just a plastic prop =).

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
What about sound amplification? Shouldn't we be able to pickup sounds that we normally wouldn't be able to? I want to be able to spy on anyone :D. Also, Star Trek may have copyright ability, but not patent ability. They didn't develop a system, merely a story. A good story, but a story nonetheless.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I wish this had been Samsung's or Apple's idea and not Google's. Also, I love the idea, but I'm not crazy about the design but I know with time these will evolve into good looking glasses.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]So now they want to place adds wherever you look, isn't the normal in your face while browsing adds enough?[/citation]

ads or adverts or advertisments, not adds, adds is 3rd person singular present of add.He adds up his pennies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam_duo[/nom]Wow! All of these patents sound to me pointless, stupid and in Apple's style.As if none of these was ever done before.I don't blame google... but these patents are still ridiculous. I bet Star Trek should seek to invalidate them[/citation]
Pointless? If it prevents someone from creating a similar device using these patented elements it is not pointless at all. You may disagree with the patents, but they are have clear purpose toward Google making lots and lots of money.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I remeber there was a werable game console which rendered two different images; one for each eye, that should've been patented before google

"Displaying sound indications on a wearable computing system", wow so when you wear it it makes a sound, patentable

and patenting is anti-competition because it makes only one company able to make a certain product

plus I think google glasses is impossible or a failure, your eyes can render objects at a cretain distance away, that means you won't clearly see what's in front of you, you can't read, you can't drive while wearing those things, forget anything related to an HUD or so

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]I remeber there was a werable game console which rendered two different images; one for each eye, that should've been patented before google"Displaying sound indications on a wearable computing system", wow so when you wear it it makes a sound, patentableand patenting is anti-competition because it makes only one company able to make a certain productplus I think google glasses is impossible or a failure, your eyes can render objects at a cretain distance away, that means you won't clearly see what's in front of you, you can't read, you can't drive while wearing those things, forget anything related to an HUD or so[/citation]
Patents are for protecting the method for which an item is made, like the technology behind it (which Google did). It does not stop someone else for creating a similar item that uses a different method (unless you are Apple and patent the case and sue all cases).

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
It would be cool if that thing can be made to look like a contact lens. Never really like what we have right no in terms of wearable gadgets, their too bulky for my taste, such as the Bluetooth earpiece. Why can they be small enough to fit in out ears so others won't know someone is wearing one? Hearing aid can why can't BT ear pieces?

I guess we don't have that type of technology yet?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]It would be cool if that thing can be made to look like a contact lens. Never really like what we have right no in terms of wearable gadgets, their too bulky for my taste, such as the Bluetooth earpiece. Why can they be small enough to fit in out ears so others won't know someone is wearing one? Hearing aid can why can't BT ear pieces?I guess we don't have that type of technology yet?[/citation]
Battery life, for one reason, I'd think.

lp231

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Battery life, for one reason, I'd think.[/citation]
Haven't really consider battery life to be the limiting factor as by the time we have it. Everything around us will help our devices recharge via wireless, from steet lamps, garbage cans, mail boxes, to park benches.
Maybe the devices won't even have a battery, the devices will always be connected like there is a virtual power cord that's always "plugged in". When you move from one areas to the next, the virtual power cord will automatically unplug from its first stationary object and move on to the next.

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Haven't really consider battery life to be the limiting factor as by the time we have it. Everything around us will help our devices recharge via wireless, from steet lamps, garbage cans, mail boxes, to park benches.Maybe the devices won't even have a battery, the devices will always be connected like there is a virtual power cord that's always "plugged in". When you move from one areas to the next, the virtual power cord will automatically unplug from its first stationary object and move on to the next.[/citation]

Maybe it will draw power from the minor electricity in our bodies?

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
If this imaging device is so similar to the one that Fighter Jet Pilots use, wouldn't the makers of that device be able to sue Google? Or, if Google does get the patent wouldn't they have to Sue the US Military?

Status
Not open for further replies.