Google Remotely Disinfecting Android Handsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Honestly I don't mind that Google can access my data, I have nothing secretive or illegal to hide.
Plus in this case it's a good thing they can, and they have a really good strategy against malicious people/apps.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
yeah i mean how many users dont know that there apps were malware? if they dont keep up to date with tech news they'd never find out. What they are doing is the only way that you can protect all the users

G

So, they are able to push an app to my phone? I don't mind the concept of quickly shutting down an exploit, but what happens when somebody exploits android's built in capacity to push apps to everybody's phone? I hope they have some sort of uber-security measures protecting this functionality. If it ever gets hacked, lol.

quixilver1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I'm just glad Nintendo is there to protect us from those evil malicious apps..... oh wait that was the previous article about Nintendo remotely shutting down peoples systems for "non authorized software"

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
so are you telling me that they can connect to my device without my permission? that's just wrong on so many levels...how about providing the users with a antimalware software, or make it a little more secure like iOS

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Although its a bit controversial that they are able to remotly access data on your phone, Im still impressed by how quickly they were able to react to the threat. Personally I think in the future they should just send an email or some other type of message to anyone who has downloaded any of these apps instead of modifying the user's data themselves, just for of the principal. But still, good work Google :)

charlie_m

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I vehemently disagree with anyone trying to give Google a pass on this. This is very very wrong that google has a complete backdoor into android phones. I want this backdoor closed and I want it closed now!

G

Has anyone here actually read the EULA? You probably agreed to allow Google to push an app like this at your device whenever they felt the need. In this case, many of you believe the need was legitimate. In the future when this operation is performed again, you may not.

Should Google have at least warned people that it was about to ah, "clean their clocks" so to speak before they did so rather than after. I think that would have been nice, but it also might have warned the guys that installed the dirty apps.

If you have a company phone, go back and read the agreement -- your company probably has the right to remove all data from your phone remotely whenever they think it's necessary.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]so are you telling me that they can connect to my device without my permission? that's just wrong on so many levels...how about providing the users with a antimalware software, or make it a little more secure like iOS[/citation]

Your a perfect example of what heavy marketing had done to the average unaware consumer. Blindly following the rest of the crowd without thinking for yourself.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Disinfecting malicious apps or sniffing our valuable data?
First you collected our WLAN data during streetview photo taking and now this?
Google, you are the malicious app itself!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]User69[/nom]Your a perfect example of what heavy marketing had done to the average unaware consumer. Blindly following the rest of the crowd without thinking for yourself.[/citation]
how do you figure....maybe you are following the other "google sheep" i hope chrome is more secure

G

you prob all have given permission to google to do this throught the eula, clicked the agree button you did. lol.
good work google, taking things seriously.
all whiners, go buy a yphone

Status
Not open for further replies.