Google Replacing Motorola Mobility CEO After Acquisition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this makes no sense to me....google acquired Motorola yet they let Samsung build their new smartphone....i am very confused .....am i missing something here....is Samsung that much better or is it cheap labor?

__Miguel_

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]this makes no sense to me....google acquired Motorola yet they let Samsung build their new smartphone....i am very confused .....am i missing something here....is Samsung that much better or is it cheap labor?[/citation]
The Google/Motorola merger is still not complete, and the clearance was only given this month, which means the deal could have never happened in the first place, so Motorola was not yet part of Google when the last Google Android reference platforms were created.

Also, even after the merger, it will take a while for the two companies to actually "sync up", up to a year, at least. So, for the time being, Motorola still pretty much acts as a totally independent company.

Nobody really knows how Google chooses its partners for new Android reference platforms, but they seem to tend to "stick" with a chosen manufacturer if they like it once, hence why Samsung was chosen twice already.

Probably by the time Android 5 comes along Motorola will be fully integrated into Google and we'll be able to see a top-to-bottom "Google" phone/tablet (hopefully), but until then it will be business as usual, I think.

Cheers.

Miguel

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]"China who must also approve the transaction before the deal can be completed."WTF happened to this world ?[/citation]
Rome, Greece, British Empire, America, etc., just like any superpower in history they all rise and eventually fall. China is your new up-and-comer, just have to get used to it.

I'm curious if this deal officially goes through, how Google will handle its Android OS and negotiations with the phone suppliers. Perhaps they positioned Android to have a great enough market share to where eventually people will have to buy a Motorola if they still want one? I'll be watching this one in the years to come to see how it unfolds.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Rome, Greece, British Empire, America, etc., just like any superpower in history they all rise and eventually fall. China is your new up-and-comer, just have to get used to it.I'm curious if this deal officially goes through, how Google will handle its Android OS and negotiations with the phone suppliers.

Um.. ok lets cut the crap hear. The reason China is involved, is because Google's search business is located in Hong Kong, soo "Under Chinese law, enterprises that run businesses in China and that earn annual revenues of 10 billion yuan ($1.55 billion) globally and 400 million yuan in China must seek government approval for a proposed acquisition."
lets keep the doom and gloom.. "America's demise" in prospective here please.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Um.. ok lets cut the crap hear. The reason China is involved, is because Google's search business is located in Hong Kong, soo "Under Chinese law, enterprises that run businesses in China and that earn annual revenues of 10 billion yuan ($1.55 billion) globally and 400 million yuan in China must seek government approval for a proposed acquisition."lets keep the doom and gloom.. "America's demise" in prospective here please.[/citation]
Where's the crap? Good job on over-excelling on your reading comprehension.

Let me give you a translated summary of what my response was to hardcore_gamer: China is coming to be the next superpower country. No longer can they be viewed as "just" 3rd world status. They have the resources, they have the infrastructure, and more importantly (referring to your post), they have the capital to be a major deciding player these days.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]Where's the crap? Good job on over-excelling on your reading comprehension. Let me give you a translated summary of what my response was to hardcore_gamer: China is coming to be the next superpower country. No longer can they be viewed as "just" 3rd world status. They have the resources, they have the infrastructure, and more importantly (referring to your post), they have the capital to be a major deciding player these days.[/citation]

Lets talk about comprehension.
European Union regulators and The U.S. Justice Department already approved this deal.
China is still processing their decision.
The "crap" is.. google does business in china sooooooooo.. "Under China's anti-monopoly laws, multinational companies have to seek government approval before consolidating if their combined global revenues exceeded 10 billion yuan ($ 1.59 billion) and if two or more parties involved in the deal reported more than 400 million yuan in sales revenues respectively during the previous fiscal year."
China's decision has nothing to do with China's "resources" or "capital", it has to do with Google's capital and resources as a multinational company meeting or exceeding said criteria.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]Lets talk about comprehension. European Union regulators and The U.S. Justice Department already approved this deal.China is still processing their decision.The "crap" is.. google does business in china sooooooooo.. "Under China's anti-monopoly laws, multinational companies have to seek government approval before consolidating if their combined global revenues exceeded 10 billion yuan ($ 1.59 billion) and if two or more parties involved in the deal reported more than 400 million yuan in sales revenues respectively during the previous fiscal year."China's decision has nothing to do with China's "resources" or "capital", it has to do with Google's capital and resources as a multinational company meeting or exceeding said criteria.[/citation]
Again, you are reading too far beyond what I never said, chill out.Read what is written referring to NOTHING more, than China elevating out of 3rd world status - that's all. Your numbers are insightful, but I never went there about the legalities of Chinese law. You are taking what I inferred (a very simple message really) and twisting things above and out of proportion, I'm moving on.........

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]"China who must also approve the transaction before the deal can be completed."WTF happened to this world ?[/citation]

Well..., guess where all Motorola's manufacturing plants most likely are. And Google also owns serious business property there /at least a half of their biggest national search engine, as much as I can remember, which is huge/. So their antitrust legislation should be satisfied as well.

G

So...the big question is what happens to all motorola leadership team

Status
Not open for further replies.