Google Responds to Steve Jobs' Activations Gibe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]while the Android phones are selling more per quarter finally as of this last quarter reported, they do not have anywhere near the number of units sold that the iPhone has sold since release, nor do they have the higher marketshare of phones currently in use. People like to quote part of the retail reports that says they had the highest marketshare of new smartphones sold in the 2nd quarter but like to forget that the same reports placed Android at 13% of overall marketshare and Apple at 28% with BB at 33% still holding on to the top spot. And to the guy that said he didn't think that Apple had sold 7 million phones total, I am not sure if you are meaning the iPhone 4 hasn't sold 7 million quite yet or you really are talking total but the iPhone was well over 50 million in total sales since release last month when those same reports were released, or about 2.5 times the number of Android phones sold since it's release. Those numbers could have only gone up since then so they are probably closer to 60 million by now. Plus the whole we aren't counting Android devices that don't have Google services thing is a lame excuse, as Android is a OS and if you count all Google devices sold then you have to count all iOS devices sold and that would be around 100 million and climbing. oh and before it gets said I am not an iPhone user nor do I own any Apple products. Windows mobile 6.5 phone user and windows 7 computer user. Just tired of people twisting the truth when it comes to Android and then claiming the Apple users are the ones living in fantasy-land.[/citation]

Wow Steve, you don't have to keep creating accounts here to post your religious belief's, we know its you. Seriously though try using real information instead of made up numbers. Android is about to surpass rim in total devices in use globaly, they have had an %800+ gain in sales quarter after quarter. Your numbers aren't even acurate for the US only market, as Apple only has a 21% market share in the US http://www.asymco.com/2010/08/02/android-global-share-rises-to-16-of-smartphones-in-q1/ Apple doens't seem to want any friends, and seems to have no problem throwing dirt in the faces of both its enemies and partners. At least google took the high road and didn't acuse Apple of fudging its numbers again like claiming they beat mozila's download day record by forcing all mac users to download safari in a single day then exclaiming "Screw your 8 million, we had 15 million people download safari in one day!" I think Aple was accusing Google of this because they patented that marketing tactic of lying to everyone and were hoping to have another patent lawsuit.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I'm not sure what happened to the link but here is the link that was supposed to be in that comment.

http://www.asymco.com/2010/08/02/android-global-share-rises-to-16-of-smartphones-in-q1/

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Bottom line: Apple has a huge head start. Google has no where near the number of devices out there as apple at this point. The end. However, moving towards the future, its going to be interesting to see what happens. Android is shaping up nicely, and is available on all US carriers at this point. Apple still has to wait until 2012 to release it to non-AT&T carriers. Simple math says Android has a good chance of catching up with the numbers, but only time will tell. Statistics can be twisted to show anything with enough skill in accounting / excel, but the bottom line at the end of the day tells the truth.. Now its just a question of how to find that bottom line.. My answer: Airports. Observe who is using what. This will tell the truth, and as of 7 months ago when in Las Vegas / LA, I saw a CLEAR picture of the most widely used phones: Blackberry / iPhone. They were about a tie, which would tell me those are the leaders. So, any one going or have been at the airport lately that observes this stuff care to chime in on what it look likes now and where? Screw the statistics fed to us, lets go get the info ourselves.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Why is he such a D***? Like all the damn time - he must be a torturous F*** to work with... Makes me wonder if his wife is getting some on the side... to counterbalance his limp d***edness sybdrome.

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
As much as I like my Droid the #1 device in this market is Blackberry iPhone + Android < Blackberry market. This may change but I don't think Apple will end up on top since they cannot compete with all the manufacturers that make the different versions of Blackberry and Android phones.

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
230,000 ? emm.... i donated three of those while i have only one iphone4, first one,lose button replacement, second one OS frozen when upgrading, third one, so far so good.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
why not ask the manufacurers how many phones they have shipped, would prove more relevant to the #'s supplied to google or apple?

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Quote[/nom]"We think some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers," - Steve Jobs[/citation]
Irrelevant. What you "think" is not relevant. What you "think" is not a statement of fact but pure propaganda. If I were trying to mislead people and not say anything that could be proven wrong, I would simply say "I think the world is flat". What I "think" can not be disputed, even if I am wrong, my statement is true in so far as that that is what I thought.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]why not ask the manufacurers how many phones they have shipped, would prove more relevant to the #'s supplied to google or apple?[/citation]

Or get Jobs to admit how many iPhones the Apple store & AT&T have actually SOLD. Seriously, 230,000 activations per day? That means realistically, they'd have to sell (let alone manufacture) at least that many per day to keep up with demand.

I could see 230,000 activations on release day (or shortly there after), but not on a continuous basis.

volt-aire

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]actually it was Benjamin Disraeli who said that.[/citation]

I stand corrected! Twain did say it, but he also properly attributed it at the time. I stand by the sentiment of the quote, though. As others have mentioned, units sold or market share are both far less dissembling ways of promoting your products. Google and Apple are just squabbling about which one of their obfuscations is actually closer to lying..

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Why wonder why Google didn't mention the number of activations that got the faulty first generation iPhone 4. Selling people a faulty piece of hardware, then try to convince them that they are holding it wrong. Got to love it when a CEO doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut.

G

The iPhoney is a classic case of cash for crap or an iSucker is born every minute.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]At least Apple found a way to lure dumb people into technology. I'll give them that much.[/citation]

They always been skilled at that... just look at their sales =)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]Both those numbers seem off. By Job's numbers, that's 7 millions new iphones/ipads in the last month. I don't think they've sold that many total, nevermind the last month. Google's numbers would be at 6 millions android phones sold in the last month, which is more believable, but based on sales numbers released by the companies, still a bit high. Clearly the term activation has to be properly defined.[/citation]
Yep, totally agreed, but I also think the numbers are skewed for both sides by the term "devices".
iOS doesn't just run on iPhones and iPads.
Android doesn't just run on phones.
I think both sides are guilt of a bit of marketing misdirection but still Google is more likely to be nearer the projected figures than Apple.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]volt-aire[/nom]As Mark Twain said, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics[/citation]
It always makes me chuckle when people use that quote, as if invoking the name of Twain (or Disraeli) can automatically disprove black & white facts. I can't wait for a murder trial lawyer to use it for a laugh.

DA - "DNA evidence shows you are the killer, it is 99.999999999% accurate"
Defence - "99.999999999% you say? Well Mark Twain said there are lies, damned lies, and statistics!"
Judge - "You have a point there" (bangs gavel) "Case dismissed, you may go free"

G

the number is not for iphones ... it is for iOS devices which inclued iphone ipad and ipod touch ... not sure how they would count 'activation' on a ipod touch (registration maybe) but there are a lot of ipods sold

Status
Not open for further replies.