Google Scanning for Your Mac Address?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Google and USA spy agencies are hand in hand they spy the shit out of everyone, also the socialization networks like Facebook are used for the same purpose on spying the citizens, once you upload a photo with you on Facebook your real identity is associated with you internet IP and they can trace you real quick by that. Also if you wanna create a blog on Blogger a service provided by Google they request your mobile phone number so that they can trace your exact location on the Globe, and by having your mobile phone number they can send you a Tomahawk Missile or other kind of missile right at you even if you're on the go.

Just look at Google's CEO face to understand what kind of fucker runs this world
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/...dt+Discusses+Future+Internet+FhXokCx3yRXl.jpg
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/...dt+Discusses+Future+Internet+Okayrx-4-afl.jpg
http://www.maclife.com/files/u124583/eric_schmidt.jpg
http://www.saidaonline.com/en/newsgfx/google CEO.jpg

G

I'm looking forward to Google's soon to be released "Peeping-Tom View." You see, I have this really hot neighbor lady and...

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Google knows where you live, where you work and what you had for breakfast. So I don't think Google knowing your MAC address is a big deal now.[/citation]

lol probably not for most people. I still don't like the idea, though.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I don't know what to make out of Google anymore. On one hand I feel they deserve my support, but on the other hand they keep reminding me why I dislike them so much.

besterino

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
To all who say that "google is only doing what everyone else could do":

I believe there is a big difference between (i) one person walking by and scanning for open networks/MAC addresses (e.g. to use for GPS tracking or a free "private hot spot" for a limited time)and (ii) a company collecting that data for EVERY street, saving it (for future use to be sure) and categorize it.

The main difference is that all of a sudden such data is theoretically available to the public. First of course only to the corporation, but - let's face it - they will use it to some extent. Also it can get stolen.

For example, what would all you people say if google ran a port scan on every machine that uses google? Or a DNS-lookup? Everyone could do it, but it does make it difference if someone is doing it for everyone systematically. Oh, and just imagine the fun if you can google open ports for any IP-addresses. Hurray.

jockeryl

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
The problem is that not everyone have the worlds largest database record of everything that you have posted on the internet and they can over time link all your info/identity to your position and likes/dislikes. They will be able to mine out everything an advertiser wants or whoever else pays for their services. NSA, FBI, CIA, FSB etc. would love to have the databases Google/Bing accumulates in combination with their own Government official/classified resources. It's scary! We are lucky that most governments are still using paper and basic systems without integration. When they start putting it in the cloud and Amazon/Microsoft/Google can have access to it then there is no more barriers left and your whole life will be available with the right credentials... I see more and more Federal and Local Authorities looking at the "new" Cloud as the next cost cutting/saving solution.
Business Intelligence and Data Mining is big business, what Google does is just that, on a global scale, which makes it the more worrisome. They gain more knowledge about each individual for each search/post we do. You might think it's just about hiding your Mac address, "anyone can get it" or "it's just public info", but it's the scale and the years of data that accumulates to a whole picture of you. I worry for the next generation that was born with a Facebook page and tweeted from the cradle, they will not have any private life left unless they unplug... Few people bother about the digital trail of clues they leave behind, it can't be erased...

jockeryl

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Btw, it's easy for them to track a user of Google Maps on an iPhone and link it with the UserID and then any other info linked to that ID and all other email aliases, facebook/myspace pages, tweets, forum, youtube, blog, job posts, CVs... If you can do this investigation work by hand, you bet their 100,000++ servers are mining through it 24/7. With algorithms for spatial pattern recognitions they can also find the cluster areas where you like to hang out, like work, the pub, school or at home... That they get from the Mac addresses/Cell IDs that you give them when using their location apps. Over time that will be very accurate, your pattern of movement is probably 90% repetitive and it's a great resource in combination with the rest. Btw, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Telcos etc. are also doing this kind of analysis of location data since many years. Today they use it to spot trends and improve their service. They might not use to drill down on a personal level, but they will get there sooner or later... The technology is there and millions of users are unaware of the possibilities and the amount of information they unknowingly give away every day.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
As someone has already pointed out that your MAC address contains information of the manufacturer of your Network Adpator. The first 6 charactors of your MAC is assigned to specific vendor. You could actually look up the vendor online...
http://coffer.com/mac_find/

The MAC address for an individual is more or less useless. However, for a business, like Google, this information (MAC) could easily translate into big $$$. Think about what a business could do if they know what Networking equipment everyone is using.

Not so much of a privacy issue, but a big advantage for Google.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jockeryl[/nom]Btw, it's easy for them to track a user of Google Maps on an iPhone and link it with the UserID and then any other info linked to that ID and all other email aliases, facebook/myspace pages, tweets, forum, youtube, blog, job posts, CVs...[/citation]

I can do that if I have access to google's database (just to see what phone is looking up the map, the rest I can do on my own).

Status
Not open for further replies.