Google TV Rumored for PS3, Hulu Plus Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakanagai

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
How would Google TV for PS3 work, though? It doesn't have video input and IPTV isn't supported outside of select markets.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Just more stuff that can be removed later, ya know because it was made for games....(sarcasm) I'm surprised $ony hasn't just come out and said "Everyone send us a dollar a month and we will leave it the way it is."

rikkig

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Umm, it was also made as a blu ray player, ya know, for watching TV (sarcasm!). I, for one, think this is great! I use my PS3 for games, sure, but also like it as a media centre, and this will massively help that. I'd I'd much welcome a better browser!!!

coleipoo

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
"The subscription will cost $9.99 per month, however those who already pay the yearly fee for PlayStation Plus will get the Hulu Plus service for free."

This is wrong, you still need to purchase Hulu Plus for 9.99 a month. Unless they changed something overnight.

Also, note that Hulu Plus will be available to all UNITED STATES PSN members

G

Honestly, my PS3 gets used more as a media renderer than anything else these days. I use it to play the movies and music from my server, not to mention Netflix. Google TV would just make it easier to find what i'm looking for by doing a search rather than picking my way through the menus. The PS3 is currently my all in one media source, so much so that I'm going to by a second one just for the media server/ blue-ray capabilities.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
It also wouldn't be surprising to see Google's Chrome browser replace the clunky, annoying stock version currently residing on the console. Given that the PlayStation 3 supports the use of USB mice and keyboards, the console would provide a more user-friendly, PC-like experience through the use of Google's installed software.
Maybe that's why they don't let use linux anymore on the PS3, so people have to use the Google's software and then they can sell whatever else they want...

G

I'm excited by the possibility of Google TV going to PS3. Hopefully this happens. I just wonder how it would work with my DVR.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
It is like they are giving the PS3 a gradual sex change until it is an ugly PC. I love my PS3, but I think once you get the browser, use a mouse and a keyboard, and pay for hulu plus, might as well just spend 10 bucks to get an HDMI cable for your pc->TV, if you have a compatible video card that can also stream audio over HDMI, that is.
I am for this, i just think that once all is said and done, putting all of these features into consoles will prove that everyone should just get PCs and once bluetooth comes to MoBos, controllers for the PC. Kinect for the PC. Why even make consoles if we are just trying to get available features from a PC onto them? I know there is a price difference, but for 300 bucks, I think nowadays even, you can make a PC with comparable specs. I probably am wrong, and look forward to people correcting me on this article's comment thread, TBH. I feel like it is becoming a more valid argument.
"Console vs PC"? what really is the difference going to be in 5 years time?

G

PS3 slim uses less watts then a quad core cpu alone. Some dual cores use what the ps3 uses in game (watts wise at full load). Build a blueray playing pc that runs well and under about 90w for $300 with bluetooth and wifi.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]It is like they are giving the PS3 a gradual sex change until it is an ugly PC. I love my PS3, but I think once you get the browser, use a mouse and a keyboard, and pay for hulu plus, might as well just spend 10 bucks to get an HDMI cable for your pc->TV, if you have a compatible video card that can also stream audio over HDMI, that is. I am for this, i just think that once all is said and done, putting all of these features into consoles will prove that everyone should just get PCs and once bluetooth comes to MoBos, controllers for the PC. Kinect for the PC. Why even make consoles if we are just trying to get available features from a PC onto them? I know there is a price difference, but for 300 bucks, I think nowadays even, you can make a PC with comparable specs. I probably am wrong, and look forward to people correcting me on this article's comment thread, TBH. I feel like it is becoming a more valid argument. "Console vs PC"? what really is the difference going to be in 5 years time?[/citation]
Hopefully the same stuff as now. I don't need the apples of the worlds and the $ony's of the world taking away features from what I bought"for the sake of piracy". $ony is trying to make up for not enough R&D when they released the thing, if I were wrong they wouldn't be trying to re-create it as we speak. Consoles are a closed environment, I don't want those policies enforced on my pc ...or any more added to my console :).

G

"The subscription will cost $9.99 per month, however those who already pay the yearly fee for PlayStation Plus will get the Hulu Plus service for free."

The above statement is a bit misleading. Before last week, you needed to have a PAID PSN Account to access the Hulu Plus service (for $9.99/month)

Now, all PSN members -FREE and PAID will have access to the Hulu Plus app. However, In order to stream Hulu Plus content on y our PS3 you will need to subscribe to Hulu Plus paid monthly service.

To sign up, you can visit: http://www.hulu.com/plus/ps3

G

I just signed up for a Hulu Plus account and it is only $7.99/month with a free 1 week trial. Additionally, if you pay using a Chase CC you get a free month of service.
I see the validity of many of the arguments raised about making the console too much like a PC and vice versa. As a moderately technically inclined guy, $ for $ I don't see you being able to match the versatility of the PS3. What I appreciate most about it is the ability to stream (Netflix & Hulu Plus) in HD. I can't get that quality with the Netflix app in Media Center or even directly online from their website. I look forward to the addition of Google TV.

G

I don't see why people are so angry with them possibly adding GoogleTV. From what I've researched Google doesn't charge for the service (correct me if I'm wrong) and as for the Hulu Plus - whether you use a PS3 or a PC for it, you still have to pay the same amount. It'd be nice if they included it in the PSN Plus but I don't use that anyways.

As for the app store, so what? If you don't want to use it, ignore it. I'd welcome the GoogleTV instead of buying another $300 addon to my TV. I'm actually hoping for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.