Google Voice Number Porting to Cost $20 + ETFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Cool :) So we're soon to see Google get into the Cell Phone Provider since most companies aren't going to be very happy with this service that Google is providing...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
It was always stupid that you can't forward calls with prepaid phones due to carrier restrictions. Now, someone else has come along and offered exactly that service. I expect many people will simply use it to bypass the senseless restrictions carriers put in place. That is really the killer feature being offered here. Carriers are consistently shooting themselves in the foot with the "you can't do this unless I can find a way to make you pay for it" attitude, and now they're gonna suffer. I'll pay the $20 just to stick it to them.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Once that’s done, you can register your newly acquired number as a forwarding number with your Google Voice account. From then on, any calls made to your new number will forward to your old, ported number.

I think that's backwards, is it not? Wouldn't your old, ported number then be forwarded to your new cell-number? Isn't that the point of porting your old number, so you can continue to give out that old number rather than a new number? That's the whole point of Google Voice, right? Use one number, and have those calls forwarded to any number of other phone lines (cell, home, work, etc...)?

I still don't know about giving my number to Google. What happens in a year or too when they never move this service out of beta and shut it down, will I be able to get my phone number back?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
The point is that Google is providing consumers with the ability to pay a one time fee to really 'own' your phone number. Carriers have been using this mechanism to rape consumers.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I think that's backwards, is it not? Wouldn't your old, ported number then be forwarded to your new cell-number? Isn't that the point of porting your old number, so you can continue to give out that old number rather than a new number? That's the whole point of Google Voice, right? Use one number, and have those calls forwarded to any number of other phone lines (cell, home, work, etc...)? I still don't know about giving my number to Google. What happens in a year or too when they never move this service out of beta and shut it down, will I be able to get my phone number back?[/citation]

You're right! Sorry, I got them the wrong way around. Yes, that is the whole point of Google Voice, though I agree with you in not really being sure of Google having my phone number... They already have my name, address and credit card info from when I bought my Nexus One, so it likely doesn't matter at this stage, but still..

Status
Not open for further replies.