Google: We'd Have Loved to Partner with Nokia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam22

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Nokia should have forked Android to differentiate itself. Take the GPL code, call it Nokidroid or something, and add your own services to replace Google's non-GPL parts like Google maps, etc.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Microsoft is a has-been. They are on the way out. Their business model doesn't work any more and they are so stuck in a rut they can't change it.

Choosing a used-car salesman for CEO of a tech company was a particularly clueless move. That combined with years of screwing their own customers has finally caught up with them. No-one is buying their phones or any other products unless its preinstalled on your PC and you have no other choice. Microsoft is just not a "cool" brand. Hardly ever was, certainly never will be.

To anyone still drinking the Microsoft cool-aid, especially you morons putting your life savings into MS stock.. wake up and smell the coffee.

DWMan - you're either a retard or a Microsoft employee. Probably both.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]niz[/nom]Microsoft is a has-been. They are on the way out. Their business model doesn't work any more and they are so stuck in a rut they can't change it.Choosing a used-car salesman for CEO of a tech company was a particularly clueless move. That combined with years of screwing their own customers has finally caught up with them. No-one is buying their phones or any other products unless its preinstalled on your PC and you have no other choice. Microsoft is just not a "cool" brand. Hardly ever was, certainly never will be.To anyone still drinking the Microsoft cool-aid, especially you morons putting your life savings into MS stock.. wake up and smell the coffee.DWMan - you're either a retard or a Microsoft employee. Probably both.[/citation]

uhh how in Gods Green earth can you say that microsoft is on the way out??? do you run a PC if so i am pretty damn sure its got windows on it and i can promise you that 90 percent of companies out there run windows on there PC's maybe not there servers but there PC's for sure and then we can get into the military... everything they use is windows based now there high end servers are all unix but thats about it so you can think microsoft is on the out all you want but there not going anywhere...

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]DWman[/nom]... Again...my informal survey of every Android owner I know gets this response, "it's alright. Does what I need it to do.". Apple owners have a LOT more passion than that...and so do the Win7 phone users that I've talked to ...[/citation]
I've just never understood anyone that gets that excited over a phone, period, regardless of the OS/manufacturer.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I too agree that Nokia should not only run Win Phone 7 but have models for Android. I doubt this will happen and remember Nokia recently acquired a high ranking MS exec that most likely helped set the wheels for the deal in motion. Luckily the Win Phone 7 is a good OS but lacks proper marketing and cool hardware to put it on, ALSO the OS sets itself apart unlike Android which is a iOS clone.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This does indeed make sense from a business standpoint. Coupled with Nokia's ability to mass produce cheap hardware and Google's desire to reach a bigger market, it would have led to a killer combination.

However, I still applaud Nokia for trying to make something different from everyone else. Android just isn't my cup of tea, visually and technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.