Google Working on Amazon Prime Competitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
So for $55-60/year I can have a similar experience that Amazon would give me? Of coarse Amazon Prime w/video streaming is a nice bonus, if you use it, but would Google have a similar option with their proposed service?

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Interesting, but if you're a student Amazon Prime only costs 1/2 the amount. Is Google going to be competitive with that ($39/year) price too, and what about the other benefits that Amazon Prime members have like the instant streaming and the free Kindle book borrowing that's included in Amazon Prime. If Google can offer something like that for $39 I might get that too!

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Wouldn't this actually be ShopRunner competitor? Unless, of course, Google plans on expanding the play store to a marketplace...

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The unfortunate part here is the local brick and mortar stores (Target, Walmart, Walgreen's, etc...) charge higher prices than Amazon for most products. This is primarily the reason I shop online.

If I need something now from a local store and absolutely can't wait two days for an Amazon Prime delivery, I get in my car and go pick it up. With Prime, I can even get discounted next-day for an added $3.99/item.

And then there's the available streaming video service that keeps getting better.

I guess the only advantage Google is selling here is the same-day delivery. The price per product will most likely be more.

Yes, they could charge less for their same-day delivery serice, but unless Google plans to become a distributor and build some warehouses around the country then offer discounted prices on products, they aren't competing with Amazon Prime.

No comparison should even be made between the two.

Google is simply selling a same-day delivery service.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Got my popcorn, sitting back waiting for the show to start. I love my prime account. I still only pay the student price though. Once you have it, I think you get to keep it forever? I've never had to reconfirm I'm a student (actually, I just still have access to an edu email account). I welcome any type of competition for Amazon, especially now that I'm getting charged Tax from them. Though I don't think there's much downside in prices considering they're barely making a profit at the moment.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
So you're going to guarantee me great customer service, massive selection, guaranteed next day or 2 day delivery, lowest prices, and free videos?

Sorry Google but this is one area were you don't have a chance. Retail is world's away from running online services, trust me I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.