Google's Android Beats Apple's iPhone This Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The iPods are included to overly inflate Apple's numbers. They don't separate the two, for fear that people will realize the iPhone isn't that pervasive.

This is a non-story. Why should I care most other people are buying? I make buying decisions without consulting whether an item is popular.

WR

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
The relevance of the ipod touch and ipad non-phones is that they use the same mobile apps as the iphone. The app store drives the "smart" part of smartphone. A large installed base woos developers. The "phone" portion is unimpressive, certainly not the main reason people pay for an iphone.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
[citation][nom]christopherknapp[/nom]So, the other companies have to use 4 or 5 different phones to compete with the iPhone in numbers ... interesting.[/citation]

How is that relevent? not interesting.

demosthenes81

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I love my android phone (Motorolla Backflip) even though its not the newest version of the Android OS and because of it i now know the draw to to a smartphone it can do anything nearly its a mobile replacement for a pc i think google did well with android the more people that find out the more it will grow and a large portion of the app in android marketplace are free to boot!

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
not an Apple fan, but I really don't see this NPD report meaning much. First it's a survey and you can drastically change the outcome of any survey results by targeting geographic areas, age groups, etc. And it doesn't really jive with the hard sales data published by IDC and many others.

Also if AT&T accounted for 32% of the smartphone market in the US and Verizon 30% of the market and Blackberry was the number 1 seller in the US brand wise, but the iPhone outsold everything else at AT&T it would seem that the bulk of the Android and Blackberry sales are coming from Verizon and the buy 1 get 1 free deals, or even buy 1 get 2 free on Blackberry phones at times. It is easy to get marketshare by giving away a free phone or two for everyone you actually sell.

It makes perfect sense. They are Saying Android, which is an OS not a phone is not even coming close to Apples OS.

The smartphone marketshare breakdown really does not mean as much on a OS basis as everyone wants it to. Apple basically makes one phone on one carrier. Find another single smartphone that sells even half the number of phones that the iPhone does. If you do it will definitely not be an Android phone.

Personally if it takes over a dozen phones built by almost every long time cellular maker, and available on every single carrier, 2 years to build up the customer base of one single phone made by someone new to the cellular market, I wouldn't really be touting that as a great success.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
This is fantastic news for Android, and a trend that is likely to continue well into the future!

Now, bring on the Apple apologists with the standard line of excuses:

1) This data is flawed
2) Apple doesn't care about market share
3) Of course their market share is gaining, they are giving them away for free with no contracts required and a super model comes with each one!
4) People are just looking for cheap crap because they can't afford the iPhone!
5) Just wait until iPhone OS 4.0, it's so revolutionary!
6) It took how many phones to beat the single iPhone??
7) Blah blah regurgitate whatever Steve Jobs said as if it is my own informed opinion blah blah.

This is a platform war much the same as the Windows - Mac platform war of the 80's/90's, and it appears Steve didn't learn his lesson the first time around.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Great news for market competition. Just a shame than Android needed several phone models and carriers to beat it while the iPhone needed.... 1.

Hopefully this'll change.

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Ya know, Apple only has one phone. Sure, Google may have sold more phones than Apple has, but I could guarantee the same could be said of Blackberry and perhaps others (maybe Samsung?).

I'm all for laughing at Apples puny and worthless crap they call computers/phones, but this is comparing sales of Apples 1 phone to however may Google runs (no idea how many Android phones there are out there, but more than 1).

So why would this scare Apple if it took Google this long to beat them in sales of all of their phones?

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Ya know, Apple only has one phone. Sure, Google may have sold more phones than Apple has, but I could guarantee the same could be said of Blackberry and perhaps others (maybe Samsung?).I'm all for laughing at Apples puny and worthless crap they call computers/phones, but this is comparing sales of Apples 1 phone to however may Google runs (no idea how many Android phones there are out there, but more than 1). So why would this scare Apple if it took Google this long to beat them in sales of all of their phones?[/citation]

If Google had only 1 phone or id Apple had many phones, this may be more of a story.

jonathan1683

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I have an iphone and really like it, I just don't like the fact that I have to jailbreak it to make it do what I want. I would really consider getting an android phone once the phones evolve a little more and 4G is completely rolled out. That EVO 4G looked very hot. The only problem with these phones is I have not seen one phone that runs as smooth as an iphone. Even my buddies palm pre looked pretty sluggish which I thought was suppose to be a great phone.

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
[citation][nom]AppleTardsBeware[/nom]The iPods are included to overly inflate Apple's numbers. They don't separate the two, for fear that people will realize the iPhone isn't that pervasive.This is a non-story. Why should I care most other people are buying? I make buying decisions without consulting whether an item is popular.[/citation]
There's one big reason to care: support. The more popular a device is, the greater the availability of software, add-ons, etc.

My next smart phone will more than likely be Android based.

G

christopherknapp
dheadley
Ragnar-Kon

and who's bloody fault is it that hardware peeps can't plonk the iPhone OS onto a different device and be used on a different carrier, it's not that iPhone needed 1, it only has 1... and then you lot go and make it sound like a good thing.....

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]So why would this scare Apple if it took Google this long to beat them in sales of all of their phones?[/citation]
It should scare them because a win is a win no matter how it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.