Google's Chrome OS May Arrive Next Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I can't imagine Chrome being all that great like they are claiming. Hasn't it only been in development for like a year??? Thats not a lot of time to try and launch a breakthrough OS.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I think that’s a little tougher for [Google] now because they basically tell the hardware community Android is dead, Chrome is the thing or maybe Chrome isn’t the thing," - Microsoft

er... Like MS makes consumer, business OS? Or OS for cell phones (WindowsCE) or the OS used in the Xbox360? Microsoft wants "PC games", but doesn't make games for PC (Halo3, Gears2, etc).

What a stupid thing for MS to say about Google's OS.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Changed my mind about Chrome OS after finding out it will be based on cloud computing, "all your files belong to us". No thank you to cloud computing, hosting my e-mail is enough. I don't need you to host any document I write or manage my pictures either.
They, the powers to be including Microsoft like the idea of cloud computing. It gives them more control and they envision a day that they can charge you a monthly fee just to use you computer. Bill Gates stated back in the late eighties I think that he envisioned a day that we would pay MS a monthly service fee just like you pay for your electric bill, I'm not kidding. MS has tried various techniques over the years to get a foothold in that idea but all have fizzled out. Now Google wants to jump aboard, may they fizzle out too.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
If the OS can run some windows software or at least do enough emulation so all the software we all like to use can run at a decent speed. I would be willing to give it a try...
Better than paying $100 or more to M$

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
maybe they are releasing it without approval because they are based in china and google's patents/wishes dont mean shit there. I find that likely

G

Yep... read the fine print at the download, "Chrome OS is not related to Google. Service provided by SUSE Studio". I'm still downloading it to check it out though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.