Google's 'Impatient' CEO Apparently Hates Gmail?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The fact is we all use all the mails, so one was never enough.
Gmail's fine for work as long as I don't have to login thru my browser.
And yahoo is fine for all the crap, junk , xxx groups etc etc at home :)

G

"He does not much like e-mail either — even his own Gmail — saying the tedious back-and-forth takes too long to solve problems."

Anyone who has done any decent volume of business in any fast moving industry will agree with this 100%. He's not saying gmail is bad.

He's saying all email, including gmail, is an ineffective means of communication. This is true. Email offers no way to utilize tone, and it's too easy to get off subject. I've also noticed in my dealings that it also offers non-decision makers a chance to weigh in on a subject they really have no business weighing in on as they tend to be CC'd for whatever silly reason.

Pick up the phone, or talk face to face. That's how you do business. Email is for a reply or question that can be handled or answered in one sentence.

The non-scheduling of meetings I understand as well. Most fast moving tech companies have an open door policy. Page should be the one scheduling and determining where his time is spent.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Being in college its almost essential to use email. It seems more and more professors are relying on their students to check email outside of class. With that said I highly prefer Gmail over all other web mail services I've tried.

I do hope Page doesn't turn into a wannabe Jobs. Before this article I was sure he was a nice guy.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Because of work of people like Alexander Bell and Martin Cooper, Larry Page doesn't have to torture him self with slow pace of email communication.

BTW Page is asshole same as Jobs, but that's where all similarities end.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
He'a 100% right about the email being a slow way to "get things done". Conference, phone calls or 1on1 are the best ways to solve things faster.

Gotta love the sensationalist headers/titles these days. Really.

Cheers!

G

Email is how you communicate when you either want to get something in writing so the recipient can't pretend they didn't say it, or when you're communicating about something that you don't care about either the subject or recipient, and don't wish to deal with at the moment.

Being that Gmail really wasn't being referenced, you have to wonder why Tom's chose to print this FUD, perhaps Microsoft thinks this will somehow bring people back to hotmail?

pcpcs

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Doesn't look like anything special to me!
g.php

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Gmail is currently the best email service in terms of usability and spam filtering but they have managed to ruin it a little recently. the new look sucks. buries everything in additional menus including your messages. Why do we need to click on a load more button to read the rest of an email?

G

It crappy fee email. What do you expect? Its like all the others, full of ads, poorly implemented at times filters for spam. They change things users don't want changed, and don't change things user want changed. For Free email its Ok. But as a part of internet history of greatness? No.

G

The head of a company should stick by all of their products. Even if that means their lying. He should be promoting Google any way that he can. This is ridiculous.

kenhikage

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
" I am willing to bet actual money right now that future generations will remember Gmail as one of the greatest contributions to the consumer Internet experience (the crummy new version notwithstanding)."

I'm willing to bet that before I have grandkids something will make email seem as unthinkably inconvenient as the telegraph is now. Face it, Page is seeing this from the perspective of Generation Z, or Generation 9/11 if you'd rather.

G

I actually agree with him.
Altough Gmail is the best emailing service I know it still uses email technology. MXrecords, SPF records, limited file sending and all that junk. Email as been outdated ever since they created the first decent instant messaging system.
All we need now is a standard and of course wearing our pants when users refuse to use new technologie.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I beat you on that one. I still use AOL for my main E-mail.[/citation]
I beat you all: I still write letters using a fountain pen and use regular mail for that.

jgillispie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]bunga28[/nom]Hey Ross, did you read the article and try to understand it? The gist is that Larry Page does not like the "back and forth" in email. He would like to get things done properly. That is why he has an informal weekly face to face meetings with his managers. Sh!t like this turns a non-issue into a big deal, because people like you.[/citation]

Face to face meetings are the biggest waste of corporate spending. Hours of pay of work time wasted getting something accomplished you could have done with email or virtual meetings in a fraction of the time.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
BS article misquoting and misunderstanding people and the basic convections of language. The content asside, did anyone proof read this?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
"The New York Time's profile of Google CEO Larry Page, in which we learn that the head of one of the biggest powers in the tech universe is exceedingly impatient, won't come as much of a shock. What is a shock is that he apparently doesn't much care for the one thing other than their search engine that Google has managed to do better than anyone else in the world - Gmail."

anotehr example of a toms article that makes false asertians . I hate Gmail too , and google i certainly dont think google does the two better than any one else , what makes this statment so inaccurately false , is that there is NO such thing as the best email service , some folks like this others like that it's totally an opinionated matter , so please stop including crap like this statment in your articles.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]I beat you all: I still write letters using a fountain pen and use regular mail for that.[/citation]
One-upmanship contest!
I still carve hyroglyphs onto stone tablets

kenhikage

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]One-upmanship contest!I still carve hyroglyphs onto stone tablets[/citation]
I guess a guy from a tribe that doesn't have writing won't be able to trump you on Tom's, huh? Well fine then, I still communicate with polynucleotide sequences. Wait... so do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.