Government Launches Tool to Track IT Spending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]By default, the American people want to know how much money the government is spending and on what.[/citation]I didn't realize human beings had default settings, even for us Americans who believe everything we hear/read. =)

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Platypus[/nom]I didn't realize human beings had default settings, even for us Americans who believe everything we hear/read. =)[/citation]

Haha, "as a result of this" probably would have worked better. Hang on 'til I fix it for you. :)

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Money spent on IT is small potatoes compared to what the government is spending everywhere else. It's a drop in the bucket. It's like when Obama urged Washington to cut $100 million somewhere, the same month he signed a $787 billion spending bill.

That money he urged Washington to save was .0127% of just that one bill he signed. Yes, that's just a little more than one one-hundredth of a percent.

Small potatoes compared to the current budget (by far the largest budget in history).

salsoolo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
im not from america. but i read alot of comments pissed at government spending. i want to know what would happen if your government havent spent a dollar because of the crisis.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Jane, don't be ashamed to cater to your core audience. I know for a fact this is how my wife works...

If spending > 0
opinion.default = "where did that money go?"
end if

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]salsoolo[/nom]im not from america. but i read alot of comments pissed at government spending. i want to know what would happen if your government havent spent a dollar because of the crisis.[/citation]

Some rich people would have lost their shirts. The people who lost their jobs would still have lost their jobs.

mcbowler

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Government has no money, it just redistributes it. I would rather pay IT people than most other crap that it spends money on. Oh, and so the government has transparency a little bit.. and they are going to listen to me when I tell them they are spending too much? Highly doubtful.

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]salsoolo[/nom]im not from america. but i read alot of comments pissed at government spending. i want to know what would happen if your government havent spent a dollar because of the crisis.[/citation]
the problem isn't that they are spending money, the problem is that they are basically just 'printing' more and more (virtually speaking). The next big crisis in the states is going to be massive inflation like we've never seen before. Like germany right before hitler took power or the soviet union right before the collapse.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006

Tenor is right. You asked a great question. How much worse would it be right now if we had done nothing?

Our unemployment rate is still increasing, up to 9.5%. Companies aren't hiring. Meanwhile our tax dollars are helping fund banks and large companies that couldn't turn a profit. We're literally subsidizing what would be dead companies. The stock market is still in the dumper. The price of gas and oil is on the rise again. The public sector (our government) continues to hire and create positions - positions that are paid by the shrinking number of taxpayers. Our taxes are constantly being increased and economists think the answer is to go out and spend our money on that flat screen tv that I cannot afford.

Yeah, it's not good. We're taxing ourselves to death. People think we're on the rebound, but I personally think it's gonna get a lot worse.

"For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]AdamB5000[/nom]Tenor is right. You asked a great question. How much worse would it be right now if we had done nothing? Our unemployment rate is still increasing, up to 9.5%. Companies aren't hiring. Meanwhile our tax dollars are helping fund banks and large companies that couldn't turn a profit. We're literally subsidizing what would be dead companies. The stock market is still in the dumper. The price of gas and oil is on the rise again. The public sector (our government) continues to hire and create positions - positions that are paid by the shrinking number of taxpayers. Our taxes are constantly being increased and economists think the answer is to go out and spend our money on that flat screen tv that I cannot afford.Yeah, it's not good. We're taxing ourselves to death. People think we're on the rebound, but I personally think it's gonna get a lot worse."For a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill[/citation]

The banks could very well be bankrupt were it not for the action the govt took, and if you want to see a lousy situation try losing the top 5 lending institutions COMPLETELY and tell me how long your country lasts before total disaster sets in. Crippled banks are better than no banks any day.

Taxes aren't going up unless you already make a lot of money, in that case they are going up by a whopping net 4%... I hope you find a way to keep making your house payments, rich people!

The government isn't employing more people unless there is an express need; in a lot of cases they are cutting just as fast as everyone else in an attempt to stem the impending negative budgets.

I don't think Churchill has any famous quotes about blowhards and hyperbole, but if he did I would conjure one at this point to try to make you understand how off base you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.