Government Releasing Surveillance Doc Figures Annually

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
utterly pointless... if there farming data and storing it then they are keeping an eye on every 1 not just terrorists. although this is a step towards transparency they should only be targeting people who deserve it so theres no need for fisa to hold millions off emails and communications just in case. then need to dismantle the data farms there making and do it soon.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
They lied about the very existence of this program, then they lied about the extent of the surveillance... Pretty much lied about it every step on the way. Does anyone believe those numbers?
Even if they were true, what purpose would they have? "Yeah, we're still spying on you, but here are some numbers about that..."

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Telling us the volume of spying they are doing isn't really much of a help. I guess they figure that everyone already knows about this so they can claim a small degree of transparency while actually giving no real information.

The best solution for everyone would just be to strike down the entire Patriot Act. I'm personally willing to accept a small amount of risk (terrorism) in exchange for my privacy.

leoscott

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
What we need is a law that sets limits on what can be classified, how long it can be classified and requires anything that doesn't meet those standards to be declassified and immediately available for a Freedom of Information Act request. It should also set time limits with financial penalties on how long the government has to respond to Freedom of Information Act requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.